Chavez

Ammo Pouch Filler (Expanding Foam Perhaps?)

Hi All,

I am looking to design an ammo pouch for 5 or 8 .308 rounds for stalking and I can't think of a good way to hold the rounds still. I'd be grateful for your help.

Looking at the design in Stohlman's "making leather cases" (Where the rounds are place vertically [lllll] ), if you mould a pocket around a shaped wooden block then is great for holding the rounds until you remove 1 or 2 rounds from it. Then, the rest are likely to start rolling around and making noise.

I therefore need a solution to stop the rounds from moving around a half-empty case. I thought perhaps if I fill the pocket with some sort of foam and then put the rounds dummies into the pocket while the foam dries up, they should form nice tight partitions that will hold the rounds still. Any suggestions on what filler to use? The filler should be strong enough to hold the rounds but not too stiff so it can't push the bullet into the case (see below). At the same time the filler should be flexible so it doesn't crack from the leather movement.

PS I've also tried moulding a pocket for each separate round but that didn't work as the pockets become tighter if they are not used regularly and you have to force the rounds into them, increasing the risk that the bullet will push into the case and ruin the round's accuracy.

Of course, I can also put loops from 2mm leather into the pocket but that significantly increases the amount of work that needs to be done and makes the pouch bigger.

Thank you for your help!

I was going to recommend loops, but...oh well...

Maybe you could get a small piece of Kydex and mold it around some dummy rounds, then drill holes in it and hand stitch it to the case... They'd fit in there snugly and it would probably be easier than adding leather loops...

Edited by TXAG

You can get the foam cartridge holders that come with the factory box and mold your case around that if you want a full box capacity.

They look like this ...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/613404/cb-09-ammo-box-with-styrofoam-tray-22-250-remington-243-winchester-308-winchester-20-round-cardboard-white-box-of-25?cm_vc=OBv1597634

Edited by Tree Reaper

You can get the foam cartridge holders that come with the factory box and mold your case around that if you want a full box capacity.

My suggestion too. :16:

Thanks!

I'd expect styro to be way too loud & not robust enough.

I was thinking more along the lines of icynene foam but with less expansion.

Loops: I'll probably have to go with them but having never done any loops before, I'm not sure how good their hold is. I was thinking of producing some pouches commercially and the extra labour costs of putting loops in might push the price up too much =/

If you don't like the Remington foam there's the Federal Plastic Ammo Caddy.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/tactical/rifle-mounted-tactical-ammo-carriers/

I have some closed cell polyethylene foam that would be just wonderful for that project.

I have used it for so many different things in the past 20 years that it beggars description for all of its uses.

On "leatherworking" use for it, . . . it holds all my leather working tools.

It does not flake off like styrene foam, . . . floats, . . . is readily cut with a razor knife, . . . and is virtually silent in about all it's uses.

May God bless,

Dwight

Why do you think that loops would be so labour intensive? Plenty of gunbelts have them.

Hi Matt,

Since it's already a closed case, IMHO it should hold the ammo without the need for loops. Cutting, dyeing (potentially), installing, moulding loops will call for extra space in the case and by the look of it might easily amount to extra 30-60 minutes of work depending on loops design (I might be wrong here). Too fiddly if it can be replaced by something simple but just as effective.

Thanks for all your advice. I'll try which approach works best for me.

Cartridge loops would take more time than a block of foam, but would increase the appeal and overall quality of your case. And like many tasks, once you learn how to make cartridge loops it will become easier and less time consuming. Not in hurry I can sew 25 loops in an hour pulling that long piece of thread through. 5 to 8 loops would be relatively fast once you are accustomed to the process. Do some research on cartridge loop making, and give it a try, even if it doesn't get used in your project you will have a new skill that will make you money in future projects!

I think you're over thinking this. I'd take a piece of 10oz leather, double it up and punch 308 sized holes in it and cement it into the box pouch about 3/4" from the top of the pouch.

(actually, I'd do loops...but you mentioned this isn't your prefered option).

Another option is a grid insert.

Edited by MadMorbius

2X4 and some stain...

1529726_256682027819644_950312178_o.jpg