Sign in to follow this  
TwinOaks

Trigger weight concerns

Hi and welcome back. This thread is to hopefully prevent a hijacking of Wildrose's info seeking thread.

The topic is trigger weight on a gun used in a defensive shooting situation.

My belief is that trigger weight won't be an issue in a shooting provided the following stipulations are true:

1. It's a self defense shooting, against an attacker/intruder

2. It is NOT a result of a negligent discharge- this would include missing your target and hitting someone else.

3. The trigger work is done by a competent gunsmith and not "bubbafied".

I don't think there'd be any presecution against a person for defending themself even if it was with a supermodified racegun with a sub 1lb. trigger. As long as the situation warrants the shot(s) I don't see how the choice of tools (the gun) matters in the least.

Also, by my training and as a civilian, I follow the philosophy that if I reach the point that I'm drawing a weapon that it WILL likely be used. By that, I don't mean that if I draw a pistol/revolver I'm going to shoot. What I mean is that I take defense seriously enough that I have several options available with the gun being the final layer of defense. If I get to that point and draw a gun then the BG screams an expletive and hauls tail....well, the threat is over. But I won't draw/brandish a firearm as a threat or warning. I have been in several defensive situations. All but one were resolved with either verbal warning or pepperspray.

I really hope that some of our LEOs and former LEOs will chime in on this one to provide some professional insight.

I've got the fire extinguisher handy, flame away.

Mike

Mike, what I think of offhand is, if modifications can be used against by a prosecutor, shouldn't the simple fact a person actively sought a carry permit be as well? What about purchasing a firearm in the first place? What about the amount of ammo they have? Where's the line going to be drawn on what actions a person takes in regards to their firearms being used against them? How does the prosecutor know in the first place that any trigger work was done?

While a long shot, I think a prosecutor would try every angle possible he can get his hand on. Afterall, his compensation depends on it.

I wouldn't worry about mods ;)

Edited by Shorts

Mike, what I think of offhand is, if modifications can be used against by a prosecutor, shouldn't the simple fact a person actively sought a carry permit be as well? What about purchasing a firearm in the first place? What about the amount of ammo they have? Where's the line going to be drawn on what actions a person takes in regards to their firearms being used against them? How does the prosecutor know in the first place that any trigger work was done?

While a long shot, I think a prosecutor would try every angle possible he can get his hand on. Afterall, his compensation depends on it.

I wouldn't worry about mods ;)

Hi I'm new here. I believe it depends on the political climate that you live in. Overall if you want to defend your self and not spend the rest of your life in court fighting your local government or the family of the "victim" your best bet is an un altered revolver with factory ammo, anything else says you think about shooting too much. An S&W model 24 with factory .44 spl. ammo would do the trick, if a person is willing to expend the time and money to get good at shooting. Lee