entiendo

Bridle And Reins

I didn't think I'd ever finish this set. And I didn't cut off the crooked button. post-6663-036273200 1299622035_thumb.jpg

Great job, especially on the reins buttons......HANG THE REINS STRAIGHT DOWN!!!!! lol it gave me th willies looking at them all wadded up like that on the fence.

Would love to see some up close shots of both the reins and headstall.

CW

Very Nice !!! I can't wait to give my first pair of reins a try. How many roo hides does it take to make a pair?? LOL my first two roo hides only made 1 pair of hobbles and so far a couple braclets, I've got alittle lace left but not a whole lot. Trial and ERROR with it being my first try cutting lace and I think I must have wasted alot or I'm way off on how much lace I thought you could get. So just wondering how many hides it took you so that I know I would need to order atleast double that. hehe. I greatly enjoy seeing your work, its artwork looking at it.

Thanks Annette

That's a 4 plait bridle, about a half a hide, give or take depending how fancy. 8 plait bridle is about a hide, again, depending on the size of the hide and how fancy the bridle.

Reins are about a hide too. Those have a 4 plait kangaroo core then there are buttons under some of the buttons you see, so there is more leather there than it appears, and the strings for the buttons add up.

I'll post a couple more photos. post-6663-079933100 1299647234_thumb.jpg post-6663-020478600 1299647330_thumb.jpg

Edited by entiendo

Beautiful work - As always !

Very nice work like always. Only thing I don't care for is the braided connectors and trigger clips on the reins. I like to see the rein connectors done in a thin leather like latigo (not braided). That way you build in a weak point that will break vs possibly injure your horses mouth in a wreck. Your braiding looks great though and I really like that headstall. Well I think one of those buttons might be a little crooked. ;)

Mike

The customer wanted the snaps. I don't like them at all. I tried to talk her out of them. At first she wanted me to attach the snap directly to the reins. I couldn't do it. Beautiful kangaroo reins with scissor snaps. LOL No way. We compromised by adding the snaps to the rein connectors. I do like rein connectors though, I wouldn't want latigo myself.

The braided ones sure do look nice, I'd just rather have something that would break vs hurting my horse.

Reins would have to be pretty weak to break away, better off with a weaker bridle.

Nice work ! You've come a long ways.

Mike

Reins would have to be pretty weak to break away, better off with a weaker bridle.

What I am talking about is I would want the connector (not the actual reins) to break easier, so if the reins get hung up on something in a wreck the connector breaks instead of cutting up the horses mouth.

Here is the set of reins I made (my braiding isn't as nice as yours) that shows the thin leather connectors I used.

4586130410_ddaeabf9fd_z.jpg

finished romal reins by ss1442, on Flickr

and here are some that Martin Black sells. reinconnectors.jpg

Not trying to start a fight just trying to explain my comments.

All of your stuff sure is nice.

Mike

I have never really thought about making horse tack, but I am amazed at the stuff your doing these days. It's absolutely stunning, I am sitting here just counting up the hour or so to do two buttons for each button button....Ouch. How long did the whole set take?

I am also curious about what knots you use to do the foundations, I would guess most of the grip is spanish rings under, but maybe a gauco with a spanish ring on top to get the circular effect on those pineapples???

We all have our preference Megabit, it's OK, I don't think you are trying to start something. if my horse was to step on his reins and panic, the bridle would slide open and release the bit from his mouth. I like having a way out too. Train, train, train, always training but still accidents can happen.

8th Sinner...Yes quite a lot of work in these. The pineapple knots don't have anything under them. The herringbone buttons have 4 bite herringbone buttons with 1/8" string under them so they have a rounder shape. I didn't like the look of them when I used a Spanish ring. The nice even shape is easier for me to obtain with a smaller herringbone.

I've also found that I like to put a 4 bight herringbone on the terminal knots as well. It make for a MUCH nicer end button.

Strangely I think adding a small button under a larger saves me a lot of time in shaping and rolling when I want a round button, so I might even come out even.

We all have our preference Megabit, it's OK, I don't think you are trying to start something. if my horse was to step on his reins and panic, the bridle would slide open and release the bit from his mouth. I like having a way out too. Train, train, train, always training but still accidents can happen.

8th Sinner...Yes quite a lot of work in these. The pineapple knots don't have anything under them. The herringbone buttons have 4 bite herringbone buttons with 1/8" string under them so they have a rounder shape. I didn't like the look of them when I used a Spanish ring. The nice even shape is easier for me to obtain with a smaller herringbone.

I've also found that I like to put a 4 bight herringbone on the terminal knots as well. It make for a MUCH nicer end button.

Strangely I think adding a small button under a larger saves me a lot of time in shaping and rolling when I want a round button, so I might even come out even.

I agree it's a bit more work but the overall look is much nicer! Your work looks very good havent been on here in quite a while!

Thanks guys. This is a pretty old post, nice to see you posting again brock.

I didn't think I'd ever finish this set. And I didn't cut off the crooked button. post-6663-036273200 1299622035_thumb.jpg

Very nice work Mate ,,, yes i can see the shabbie work you have done ,,, but but but still very nice ,,, lol

Cheers mate

Yup very shabby. Maybe one of these days I will braid as well as you do. :notworthy:

I so agree with that...

Nice work.

B...