DevanMillsLeatherworks

Very First Leather Fire Helmet Front

this is the first front i have created. constructive criticism welcome.

post-31401-054357900 1338242872_thumb.jp

post-31401-088684500 1338242895_thumb.jp

post-31401-074824700 1338242914_thumb.jp

post-31401-037441700 1338242937_thumb.jp

this is the first front i have created. constructive criticism welcome.

It looks like you are getting the hang of it. Looking good. With each one I do I get just a little bit better. I spend alot of time looking on here and on google looking at all the custom Shields. Really helps me get design ideas. Check out Redhouse Shields. He has some really nice work.

http://redhouseshields.net/

Edited by goose27

One other thing I forgot to mention. If you are not doing it yet (can't tell from the photos), be sure and burnish the edges. The first shield I made got trashed all around the edges on the first fire I was at. It appeared that the water and steam penetrated the edges and reaked havoc on it. I was able to take the shield off, throw it in the hose dryer and dry it out. I had to cut off about an 1/8' all the way around it. I then went and got the stuff to burnish the edges and it has held up to several other fires great.

I also shoot about 8 coats of sheen on it through an air brush when it is completely finished to protect it. All the shields I have made this way have held up great. You can wipe all the soot and crap off and they look almost new.

Just my 2 cents worth to save you some repair work down the road if you haven't done any of that to it yet.

Keep tooling and stay safe!!

I make leather shields up in Vermont. Do either of you know a web site that sells Firefighting related 3d stamps?

Thank you

I like the finished product. One thing I noticed in the last picture was that it appears your casing is off. It looks like things were pretty soggy when you tooled it. After you wet the leather, let it get back to the point it is in that picture (mostly dry on top and cool to the touch), put it in a plastic bag or plastic wrap and throw it in the fridge overnight. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes in your work and the ease of the tooling. Also, you can work some of the raised edges with a modeling spoon to round them off and make things look smoother.

Again, it looks great, especially for only a couple weeks worth of experience.

One other thing I forgot to mention. If you are not doing it yet (can't tell from the photos), be sure and burnish the edges. The first shield I made got trashed all around the edges on the first fire I was at. It appeared that the water and steam penetrated the edges and reaked havoc on it. I was able to take the shield off, throw it in the hose dryer and dry it out. I had to cut off about an 1/8' all the way around it. I then went and got the stuff to burnish the edges and it has held up to several other fires great.

I also shoot about 8 coats of sheen on it through an air brush when it is completely finished to protect it. All the shields I have made this way have held up great. You can wipe all the soot and crap off and they look almost new.

Just my 2 cents worth to save you some repair work down the road if you haven't done any of that to it yet.

Keep tooling and stay safe!!

+1 Burnish, Burnish, Burnish! Also, Angelus dyes and acrylics hold up well to heat, steam, and smoke without cracking, peeling, or fading (I've used them for that added splash of color) . I found that when carving letters, slow is smooth, smooth is fast and the quality is exponentially better, a sharp swivel knife also helps. I use a 1/4 angled ceramic for my carving and I haven't had any issues. the stitching looks smooth and even (Good Job, that's the hard part!). For a more traditional or aesthetic look, run a 1/8" bead around the edges, bevel it inboard, groove and sink your stitches into the bead. Practice your curve techniques with the swivel knife and watch your shields come alive! Good stuff all around.