Hi guys and gals,

So I found that I needed a new belt (finally) after using basically the same one for like 10 years (department store bought). After this time the old one has lost a lost of its shape and has been bent to hell. I feel like its been a while since I've made something for myself...so I'm pretty pumped!

So for my new one I decided to double up some 5/6 oz hermann oak. The belt is 1 1/4 inches wide. I stitched all along the laminated two pieces of leather. For the buckle and keep I skived the bottom down thin and riveted it all together. I did not skive where the buckle tongue comes through because I wanted maximum strength.

Thanks for checking it out!

-- Joe

post-50407-0-76539300-1406249569_thumb.j

post-50407-0-66061100-1406249577_thumb.j

looks great! been wanting to make myself a new one for some time. maybe this is the inspiration i need...

Looks real nice Joe. Good work.

looks great! been wanting to make myself a new one for some time. maybe this is the inspiration i need...

Thank you very much! The worst part was gluing it and finishing the edges.

Looks real nice Joe. Good work.

Thanks Rohn!

Looks good! Finally getting comfortable with that new sewing machine??

Looks good! Finally getting comfortable with that new sewing machine??

That servo motor helped a lot! I order some 138 and 207 sized thread and had some problems getting it to work correctly but I think I finally got the 138 to work. The machine would not sew the 207 but I had a size 22 needle in there. I found a size 23 and will try it again with that.

However, every once in a while the thing skips a stitch. It makes the hole but the threads don't lock and I get one stitch that is twice as long as the rest of them. Very annoying.

Looks like a nice belt, Joe!

Looks like a nice belt, Joe!

Thanks Monica!

Looks nice. Only critique is the mark is reversed. A male belt has the buckle on the left side, so if it is on the person the mark is upside down.

Aaron

Looks nice. Only critique is the mark is reversed. A male belt has the buckle on the left side, so if it is on the person the mark is upside down.

Aaron

Yup....got me. I was so pissed when I did it too. Because I looked at a bunch of pictures to figure out which way a men's belt is supposed to be put on. I guess I put mine on like a woman cause I've always put the buckle on the left side. I was trying to do it so the buckle would be on the right but I turned the belt and forgot to turn the stamp as well. I am an idiot.

Edited by Hi Im Joe

Yup....got me. I was so pissed when I did it too. Because I looked at a bunch of pictures to figure out which way a men's belt is supposed to be put on. I guess I put mine on like a woman cause I've always put the buckle on the left side. I was trying to do it so the buckle would be on the right but I turned the belt and forgot to turn the stamp as well. I am an idiot.

Well, if it is for you and you wear your belt "backwards" then it is correct for you.

That's true but I was trying to break the habit when I found out I put my belt on "backwards." It kind of backfired on me.

I make a lot of belts and I have put a few of my makers marks upside down but by accident too. But when someone is wearing the belt it doesn't show anyway so what is the big deal? The belt is still beautiful and functional and that is what matters.

I make a lot of belts and I have put a few of my makers marks upside down but by accident too. But when someone is wearing the belt it doesn't show anyway so what is the big deal? The belt is still beautiful and functional and that is what matters.

I feel the same way...but at the same time its a such a dumb mistake to make. Especially when you take the time to figure out how it should be done and then mess it up anyway.

LOL, yeah, I wear mine like a man, as it turns out. Who decided it had to go one way or the other anyway?!

LOL, yeah, I wear mine like a man, as it turns out. Who decided it had to go one way or the other anyway?!

Who knows? I wonder if there is some historical actual good reason or if it was just an arbitrary decision by someone that stuck.

Who knows? I wonder if there is some historical actual good reason or if it was just an arbitrary decision by someone that stuck.

It is probably related to the reasons why men's clothing buttons from one side, and women's the other. Years ago I wondered about this, and did a little searching and found two reasons for that. Either or both might be correct. When men wore swords on a regular basis, they generally wore them on the left side so having clothing button up right over left made it easier to access a sword than if the other way around. The other reason I found was that women were more likely to have a chambermaid help them dress, so clothing that buttoned up left over right made it easier for the chambermaid to do the buttoning when right handed. Belts may have evolved directionality for the same sort of reasons. But who knows!!

I've heard of that second reason. It does seem likely.

I had an odd feeling it may make sense.

I think stuff you make for yourself or close family that has an unintended uniqueness just makes it more special and something that will bring good memories when good friends and your loves talk about you. Enjoy and revel in your humanness. Never regret something you create. No one in the universe will make another exactly like it!

Thanks for the insight Jree.

I'm wearing it right now...and loving it.

Awesome work Joe, I like it a lot!

Thank you Fishstick! I like fishsticks a lot! Especially with tartar sauce.

Thanks for the insight Jree.

I'm wearing it right now...and loving it.

But look at what is is causing... Your head is all tipped to the side from trying to read it.

But look at what is is causing... Your head is all tipped to the side from trying to read it.

I'm sorry you're jealous of my overly magnificent avatar's magnificence.