Itch

Weaver Leather Auction

http://weaverleather.com/Supply/InfoandResources/Auction/2012Auction.aspx We usually go and it is a very good auction..Wear some comfy shoes..Wednesday & Thursday, June 19th & 20th 2013

This will be a very special event as 2013 is our 40th year as a company. Hope to see you all there!

Just a heads up again..It is usually pretty interesting..

The auction was not executed well. I think they had way too much in too small an area and not enough time. There were way too many people for the size of the area; very hard too see what was being auctioned even when previewed the prior day. Last but not least, there were too many Amish there. They are good folk, but need to get out more. The prices paid for obviously used equipment were over new item street price. For instance, a big Adler head only that looked like it was dragged up there with a logging chain, went for $4,000. They sell brand spanking new for $4,600. A well used Makita sharpener went for $360, again new retail. The first day was leather and webbing and rope and synthetics. Two auctions going on at the same time, no preview, most times a lot number and vague description, again, high prices, I mean CRAZY prices. I guess it was good for the auctioneers and the sellers, but we only bought a few things, not worth the trip expense, glad I didn't take the trailer too. I did enjoy talking with Paul Weaver and some of the other staff. J.Watt was there stamping, but I enjoyed talking with Nevada more, she was doing engraving.

Art

With that report I guess I won't be going to the Amish auction in Pa. in July. The one last year in Shipshewana was worth going.

My roots are not very far from the Amish tradition so I enjoy these folks immensely. Buy timber and other building materials from them as well as visiting their community in Ohio just about every year.

Almost everyone going to the auction says much the same thing about the crowds. In my later years I have learned to frequent less crowded venues.

Too bad about the prices things went for Art, that "kinda" negates the whole idea of an auction of used equipment.

ferg

The only success I've ever had at ANY auction was either if I found or was after some item that was out of place relative to the other items at the auction, like a piece of farm equipment at a household auction, or if the auction was simply poorly advertised. Anytime I've been to one like the Weaver one, which I've not bothered to go to even though it's not that far away, where everyone there is after the same stuff it seems like stupid is highly infectious and people stop using their brains when they start bidding. Gun auctions are the WORST.

I went on Wednesday and to be honest, was not at all impressed with the leather auction itself. If you were not in the front row, you had no idea what the leather weight or grade was. Very little description other than type and how many in the lot. When it's announced "black side - 3 x's the money" how do you evaluate? Had them so crammed together could see very little beforehand. I understand that auctions have a purpose and that is to get rid of as much product for as high a dollar as you can get. Some leather went cheap, and others above wholesale, so if you're a wholesale customer, you needn't bother. After looking at machinery as it was being set up, I decided to not attend on Thursday. From above posts, I made the correct decision. Did enjoy taking a tour of the plant though, so not a total loss.

I attended the auction and there was a lot going on especially the second day when they were auctioning off the hand tools and misc equipment pretty much side by side. I missed a few lots trying to pay attention to something coming up at the same time. The leather prices started out pretty reasonable but got pretty steep as the day went on and then went back down towards the end. It was hard to gauge the quality of the leather but everything I purchase was good quality once I inspected it when I got home. The equipment was a roller coaster I believe a gentleman got a tippman boss new condition for a good price and then later in the day 2 tippman boss machines on home made stands went over double at $1,500 a piece ??? I could not figure that one out. There were a lot of dies and hand tools the went for a fair price. I picked up new and old dies next to nothing and a leather thickness gauge with a 18" throat for $60 which I though was a great deal. The food provided by the school was great and I really enjoyed Jeremiah and Nevada Watt's demonstrations. Overall it was a very tiring event and I was wore out for my 7.5 hour drive home, but for me it was well worth it and I will probably attend next year.

Does anyone have a list of other leather specific auctions around the united states??

I can't say that I covered my costs for the two days plus travel and lodging. At the prices things were going for (often at or over retail) there was just no advantage. Leather, smalls, and machines were Cray Z. One deep throat thickness gauge went for $160, a set of about 150 stamping tools in a leather case with a lot of mileage on it went for right around $2000. That is $13 per tool and they were split 70/30 lettered/non-lettered. I'd like to say it got better as they ran out of money, but they didn't seem to run out. I can't see going again unless they change the format and spread it out some and maybe go to three days and a single auction format.

However, if you can, attend this auction once and make the decision for yourself.

Art

I tried to get in on the huge box of tools but, Art is right it went for $2,000. But there were over 300 early craftools, 100 or so old kelly midas tools and 40 or so RBS tools (just checked my auction sheet). To a collector or re-seller there would have been a lot of meat on the bone, but I could not justify spending that much since I had my eyes on other items and machines, but the machines I wanted went a little high

Yes I would agree with most of the above post's.It was pretty confusing with two auctions going on at the same time under one tent.The leather went high to the point where you could have walked inside Weaver and for an extra $5.00 a hide seen exactly what you were buying.Some of the machines that were good for nothing but a boat anchor went for big money..IMG_0422_zpsf3d00d1a.jpg

I can't say that I covered my costs for the two days plus travel and lodging. At the prices things were going for (often at or over retail) there was just no advantage. Leather, smalls, and machines were Cray Z. One deep throat thickness gauge went for $160, a set of about 150 stamping tools in a leather case with a lot of mileage on it went for right around $2000. That is $13 per tool and they were split 70/30 lettered/non-lettered. I'd like to say it got better as they ran out of money, but they didn't seem to run out. I can't see going again unless they change the format and spread it out some and maybe go to three days and a single auction format.

However, if you can, attend this auction once and make the decision for yourself.

Art

well I did see there were dealers there putting the stuff on ebay... The big tool set in the wood box was split up and sold for a heck of alot more then they paid for it!

I did enjoy talking with Paul Weaver and some of the other staff. J.Watt was there stamping, but I enjoyed talking with Nevada more, she was doing engraving.

Art

I talked to them too.. Was really interesting talking with Nevada... but I dont think I can work engraving into what I am currently doing...but I did enjoy watching

her work..

Lew