Sign in to follow this  
thebringa

How To Finish Fiebing's Spirit Dye

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and new to leather craft in general. I've been making some leather items, and started using Fiebing's Spirit Dye in various colors. After using the deglazer, I think the work looks awesome, but I have some concerns that after dyeing and buffing the leather to a shine, there is still some dye residue leftover. How do I ensure that people don't get dye on their clothing. I just don't have confidence that the color will not rub off on clothing. When I tried using the Fiebing's acrylic resolene, it appeared to be removing the color from the leather...a lot was coming off on the cloth. Any suggestions?

post-31669-085413100 1337634252_thumb.jp

When you use the acrylic finishes, it is best applied with an airbrush in light, even coats. Spray the first coat and let it dry over night. Spray the second coat and let it dry. Then start checking for bleed through. Alternately, you can dip the entire piece into a tub/bucket of the finish to get full coverage. You should also let the dipping method dry before buffing.

When you use the acrylic finishes, it is best applied with an airbrush in light, even coats. Spray the first coat and let it dry over night. Spray the second coat and let it dry. Then start checking for bleed through. Alternately, you can dip the entire piece into a tub/bucket of the finish to get full coverage. You should also let the dipping method dry before buffing.

Thanks for the tips, I will certainly try the airbrush method and dipping the entire piece. I've seen some videos describe the acrylic dye as a "crappy" quality. It does dry out the leather, but the color is amazing. I'm making these to hold yo-yos. You clip them to the belt loop and it's ready to go. I attach a photo of a shorter design one in action, a brown leather one. The lock is just a tuck catch type.

post-31669-051829500 1337830481_thumb.jp

Edited by thebringa

A yo-yo holder.... wow, how cool is that!

Just a friendly suggestion, you might try burnishing the edges so they don't look rough. It adds a nice, professional touch that makes people more inclined to buy your stuff.

Good luck...