jimmy eng

How To Get Cocobolo Burnisher From Staining Edge

A client has given me a cocobolo burnisher that attaches to an electric drill to use on his chrome dyed card wallets but it leaves a yellow stain on the edge when I've burnished them. Is there a way to reduce this from happening? I've read that the wood tends to stain hands with prolonged handling so I guess it's the nature of the material.

From the photo it looks like the colouring will strip down after use but it would be great if there was a way to get rid of the issue with some kind of stripper of some kind. A issue I thought would occur was that if I used some kind of stripping solution is that it would raise the grain of the wood so it becomes rough on the surface. But if it's part of the woods characteristics will it even do anything?

na2g.jpg

Edited by jimmy eng

It could be an oil finish and you could use a Q Tip in the groove with a stripping agent to try and remove it but it wouldn't be difficult to make a new one with the single groove you need and leave it unfinished.

Any type of wood will work, hard or soft wood.

You can also buy a plastic burnisher that goes on a mandrel if you can't make a wooden burnisher.

Cocobolo is a naturally oiley wood and high in silicates. You might try deglazing (acetone) it to remove some of the oils.

Thanks heaps for the replies, I'll contact proedge burnishers and do a patch test stripping the oil with acetone. Cheers folks..