DSJackson

Softer Leather Hand Sewing?

I don't have a sewing machine and was wondering a couple of things. When it comes to softer leathers like upholstry, chap or garment I cant use a stitching groover or overstitch wheel, so I'm looking for advice on how to make good straight and uniform sewing. How do I space out holes evenly without an overstitch wheel and keep my seams consistant?I own a few Stohlman books but they deal with stiffer leathers that you would generally pregroove your stitch line and I havent seen much or anything in regards to handsewing the softer leathers.

You can use a compass or anything that will mark a straight line for your stitch. You don't really need to gouge out a groove since the leather is softer, just something that will leave a mark that you can visibly follow. As for holes, you can use a pricking iron. Those will mark the holes (or in some cases actually punch the holes for you). You have to be much more careful with your stitching tension though. With heavy, hard leather you can pull the stitches as tight as you want cause the leather will resist but with soft leather, the stitches will be all bunched up if you aren't careful.

In general, though it can be done by hand, softer leathers are probably easier done on machine.

Andrew