andyb

How Do I Make A Woven Leather Belt?

I really like these woven leather belts because they have almost unlimited adjustment holes due to the weave. It looks like the woven part is done with four strips of leather, but my real question is what is the leather wrapped around? Does anyone have photos of a belt like this taken while it is being made to see what it looks like? Also, what is the best way to finish the weave under the end with the buckle?

post-7975-036702900 1331262190_thumb.jpg

Thanks for any tips.

Andy B.

It looks like a leather belt that has been split down the middle and braided.

There is definitely something under the braiding/weaving, and in between each place where the weave crosses over there is a piece of leather connecting the two sides of the belt together. It almost looks like if you took a 1" leather belt and used an oval punch about 3/8" long and punched out ovals every 1/2" so a 1/8" strip still connected the sides together. If this was a cheap belt that was ready to fall apart I would just take it apart to see how it is made, but it is like new and rather expensive, so I'm not going to cut it apart.

Andy B.

I have looked at some of these in the store and all of them looked to me lime a leather belt covered with plating.