Sign in to follow this  
Tkleather1

Rope Handles

I am having trouble Keeping the knots tight on the rope handles of this purse if anyone can give me any insight on what to do to keep these things tight I would sure love to know what the trick is.

Thanks Tim

Kims_Purse_back_resized.jpg

post-9593-1245352262_thumb.jpg

Tim,

I haven't made the rope handles, but have cut down some ropes and put on hondas. I am the worst at describing a braid or knot. I can't read and make much out of that either, but a lot of people can. I just needed to have someone show me. I would probably go with a knot that the ends are all pulled together out the center. The guy who showed me called it a "crown knot". Some variation of a turk's head. Make a simple three bight turk and then go around again and pull the tags out the center. It works for ends and can be used for tying on swivel hondas and breakaways. The other knot is like used on the tail of a rope. Less bulk, but still might hold that ring alright. Kind of a series of halfhitches with each strand going around the other strands and coming out the middle. The wrapping strands all come out parallel to each other as they wrap around. To prevent those tighter lay ropes from unraveling I tape to hold it where I want the knot to start, then tie over that tape.

There has got to be somebody here who can show us a little tutorial how to really tie these things. I am sure one of the Grant books could be a help too.

just tie a simple crown knot and singe lightly with a lighter. It will melt the nylon and wont come loose.

pete

Thanks guys, ince I figure out how to tie a crown knot I will try that. I am not a braider and only know knots that tie horses,dogs,or loads of hay.

I can tie a simple crown and a wall and crown in my sleep. The problem is when I wake up - Poof!

Here's a good animation for a few knots - including a simple crown and a wall & crown.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/ho...ed-help-266023/

Have fun.

TK

I didn't look at the links so if this has been covered just ignore it. I think this is one of the knots Bruce was talking about.

Here goes first tape the rope back a good 6 to 8 inches. Next untwist the rope to the tape.Then grab a strand and wrap it around the rope and run it back thru its self. Then grab the next strand above the one you just tied and wrap it around the rope and thru its self. And do the same with the third strand. Then you will grab one it doesn't matter which one and pull it snug. And then pull the other two snug one at a time. Once you have them all snug and laying right ya can then pull the fire out of them one at a time to really tighten them down. It works really good to use a rein rounder and a pair of lasting pliers(I think thats what their called) to get them really tight. I just hand tightened the one in the picture. This knot will not come untied once tightened. I hope this helps and I apologize for the rough tut. as I am not to good at explaining things.

Mike

Here's the first pic.IMG_0355.JPG

post-4953-1245470016_thumb.jpg

more pics

IMG_0361.JPGIMG_0362.JPG

post-4953-1245470430_thumb.jpg

post-4953-1245470548_thumb.jpg

TK

I didn't look at the links so if this has been covered just ignore it. I think this is one of the knots Bruce was talking about.

Here goes first tape the rope back a good 6 to 8 inches. Next untwist the rope to the tape.Then grab a strand and wrap it around the rope and run it back thru its self. Then grab the next strand above the one you just tied and wrap it around the rope and thru its self. And do the same with the third strand. Then you will grab one it doesn't matter which one and pull it snug. And then pull the other two snug one at a time. Once you have them all snug and laying right ya can then pull the fire out of them one at a time to really tighten them down. It works really good to use a rein rounder and a pair of lasting pliers(I think thats what their called) to get them really tight. I just hand tightened the one in the picture. This knot will not come untied once tightened. I hope this helps and I apologize for the rough tut. as I am not to good at explaining things.

Mike

Here's the first pic.IMG_0355.JPG

I think they just call that Back Splicing. Us common folks just call it a "Dog's D--K" !!

Tony.

more pics

IMG_0363.JPGIMG_0369.JPG

The last one I promise

IMG_0370.JPG

Sorry for the big pics. But the wife isn't home to resize them for me.

Mike

post-4953-1245470958_thumb.jpg

post-4953-1245471128_thumb.jpg

post-4953-1245471289_thumb.jpg

tony

Sounds like a good name to me.

Mike

tony

Sounds like a good name to me.

Mike

No, your knot is not what I was thinking about. My mistake.

Appropriate name, eh?

Tony.

I don't know if it is correct, but my grandfather taught me that knot when I was a kid, and he always called it a rosebud. I like it better than the turk's head type on rope ends- it covers the twist of the rope better and the rope holds it's stiffness right up to the knot. Anyone else heard it called that? Those pics show the sequence very well- I haven't tied one in a while, and may need to refer back to those as a reminder-

Chuck

No, your knot is not what I was thinking about. My mistake.

Appropriate name, eh?

Tony.

thanks that is the knot I am looking for.