Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

how to braid leather onto my wood tool handles

I sure could use some help on how to braid leather onto my wood tool handles for a better girping surface and great look of braided leather. I also plan to braid the top part of some of my walking sticks. I have looked on the net and several books, but no information on how to start the braid on the top and work all around the handles. I have very little experence in braiding, just playing with the plastic lace kits. Thanks.

Blessings,

Daniel

I am sure others will have some good ideas, one good source for anything braiding is Bruce Grants book the Encyclepedia of rawhide and leather braiding. As for spherical type knots the pinapple or heel knot had ought to work. That is what you would see on the bottom of a bosal, some folks use them to cover the tops of whip handles and such. There are other knots like a multiple string knot that would cover over a handle yet you would be able to run down the length of a handle. If you would web search for whip makers and methods you might end up with more info on the subject than you can handle. Or just hang in here and keep asking and someone some how will get you the info you need.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Rob Gerbitz

Daniel

I have to agree with Rob on the Grant book. It contains a ton of info on braiding. If it was me depending on much ya have to cover I would use either a one string long pineapple or if its a really long knot I would a multi-string knot. But that dont help ya much if ya dont know how to braid them. And I don't know of any place on the web that shows you how to braid them. I think your best bet would be to get Bruce Grants Encyclepedia of Rawhide and Leather braiding. It shows some knots that would work great. If I wasn't so damn slow at typing(going on 30min for this) and so computer dumb. Not to mention I'm not a good teacher. I wouldn't mind doing a how to on those knots. So maybe someone out there that can type and has some computer skills and put stuff in a orderly fashion could do a how to. Just a idea. Mike

Thanks Rob and Mike. I have Bruce Grants book "Leather Braiding" and that did not help me any. When I was at the TLF this morning I saw Bruce Grants other book "Encyclepedia of Rawhide and Leather braiding" that you mentioned. I look at it real quick and liked it, but I did not buy it. I think the next time I go I will buy it and go from their. Thanks for your time.

Blessings,

Daniel

Just an update here guys. I found what I was looking for, I don't know how I missed this. In the book "Leather Braiding" by Bruce Grant, their is a section called "Handle Covering" as big as day. I will be using Plate# 45 on page 90 of that section. Thanks again for all your help. Still cannot believe I missed that!!!

Blessings,

Daniel

I've learned some things from Grants' books, but have also had places where my brain didn't work that way. So, I've expanded my collection with Tom Hall Books and Ron Edwards Books. Sometimes, a different way of doing it works. For example, the easiest knot instruction for me to understand in Grants book was the one where he did it FLAT instead of trying to show it going around something. Don't know what that means about MY brain...LOL!

I started out with Bruce Grant's books, but ever since I picked up Tom Hall's books they are all I use when I need a reference.

I just saw them on the "U Braid It" site. Here's the link: Tom Hall Books

I've never seen them in person, just heard about them.

Uni, that is just like the trouble I had with those stupid tests years ago where you had to pick the 3 demensional object that a pattern makes that is laid out flat on the page. I think it was to see how concrete one's thinking was compared to something or other. My mom used to say our family was bad at that cause we were a bunch of artistic free spirits out to buck the system.. LOL, she said alot of stuff, but most I can't print in a family oriented forum. I do admit I have alot of trouble with knots and braiding do it once the right way then seconds later I do it wrong. Jordan