Tanthathide9

1St Project

Works slow so I started putting this together with what I could fit in the lunch kit....It wasnt a well planned project as I started out with a 16 strand plant it quickly went south when I busted a string it then turned to a 14 and eventually down to a 4 is what I ended up with...ill prepared but it is what it is. Its been 3 years since I started learning ans I felt I learned more by doing this than reading and watching videos. A lat of aha moments and it clicked but guess gotta start somewhere....PLEASE give me all the feedback u can good or bad....post-23761-0-78063200-1412250583_thumb.ppost-23761-0-96578700-1412250768_thumb.j

Edited by Tanthathide9

Are you building a quirt or a whip?

Brian...

i know it's took long for one and i hated having to use so many strands....it's not a wall hanger for sure....i wanted to do the 6 strand back braid.....but like i said it is what it is gotta start somewhere....

Not bad. As I recall you're learning on your own with no teacher. I'm sure what you learned by diving in was well worth the effort. The more hands on you get, the more the directions in books & videos will make sense to you. Hang in there & you'll get better. I'm sure your aware of most of the mistakes. I would agree with 25b that maybe a little more moisture in your strings might help. Good luck, Buck

Yessir u are correct diving in head first...and after it was all said and done there was A LOT that made sense. What is it that ur seeing that tells u I didnt have enough moisture?

Just something about the way the strings are pulled down kind of makes me think it's a possibility. Buck

now that it's had time to dry out completely, it's dried with a curve in it. bowed up. Could that be a sign that i didn't pull tight enough, if i didn't have enough moisture one can believe that u aren't able to get the best pull and make that lace lay like u want so...the curve would be the end result. am i correct? It's not stiff enough either it seems. could it all be because of a loose braid from lack of moisture in my string?

Hard to say. If your strings are too dry it's hard to get a nice tight braid, if too wet they will shrink up too much & leave your braid gapped. I would guess your problem might be not using the same amount of pull with both hands while your braiding. Most people tend to pull harder with their dominant hand. Getting & keeping the proper temper in your strings is probably one of the hardest things to learn & is different for everyone. You want them soft enough to be pliable, but if you feel any stretch in them or they feel kind of elastic, then they're too wet. Personally, I like my strings fairly dry & I don't like to rewet them while I braid. When I get the right temper I soap up all my strings with a braiding soap with beeswax in it that tends to hold the moisture in & if they start drying I throw the piece into my humidor for an hour or two & work on something else. For me, this works well & keeps an even moisture thru out. A lot of people who do far nicer work than I do have different methods, so it's just whatever works for you. Sadly there is a lot of trial & error involved, but there is no shortage of cows. Buck

but there is no shortage of cows. Buck

You'd never know that by the amount people are trying to get for rawhide lately...

A true story indeed.

Just wanted to say on the plus side you have managed to keep your braiding rather straight and the "V"'s in a row going down the quirt.

I still have some of my first projects that frankly weren't great. It helps when I have trouble with a project to go back at look at earlier works

so I can see the progress I have made. I too had to teach myself braiding using only the books a few video's I could find. Finally I found a mentor

that I could write to and send my work too, and he would send me a video response with suggestions. Hard to find someone who is willing to sit

down and teach a newbie. Hang in there, I see a lot of potential in your first project.

Thank you everyone who took the time time comment and lend their advice, it has not fallen on deaf ears i can promise you that...back in the "lab" gulf coast texas has some gorgeous weather right now so i will take to it while it's here