bethefawn

Attaching Handles To Bags

Terribly sorry if this has come up recently (I searched before posting, I swear I did), but I am trying to put handles on a bag that I just made (my first attempt at making something more complicated than a wallet). I'm pretty satisfied with it (it's a sort of Gladstone/Doctor's bag), but now I'm getting worried about screwing it up. I had planned to cut a bar of leather, fold it in half, stitch most of it to itself, and then stitch the rest into the bag, as is pretty common with purses and the like. However, this bag is a good 16x10x12, and I mean for it to be able to carry my books and lunch and whatever else I need. In other words, I need it to carry what I would reasonably carry in a messenger bag or smallish backpack. Should I be worried about the strength/integrity of the bag and handles using this method? Should I use an intermediate metal ring or loop between the handles and the body of the bag? Should I use rivets as well as stitching to make it extra strong? My stitching seems awfully strong usually, but I've never made anything that would get quite this much abuse before and am concerned. Thanks all!

I make little tabs that loop through one side of a rectangular ring. These then stitch down onto the flap of my bags. I like to use the rings as they act as a hinge of sorts, extend the hand away from the bag so knuckles don't rub, and they just look nice! I like to rivet and stitch for strength and aesthetics as well.

post-8183-0-34348300-1360712626_thumb.jp

I make little tabs that loop through one side of a rectangular ring. These then stitch down onto the flap of my bags. I like to use the rings as they act as a hinge of sorts, extend the hand away from the bag so knuckles don't rub, and they just look nice! I like to rivet and stitch for strength and aesthetics as well.

That is a handle that will hold some weight. Im not at the point yet on the bag Im workign on but thats pretty much how I plan to do it also.

Michael

If you are close to a Tandy store or another dealer the al Stohlman books on making cases are very good. There are 3 volumes but they cover everything that has to do with cases/ bags. I like to have them for reference. What Andy has posted should work great for what you are talking about. Good luck

David

You could also run a chicago screw through the tab on each end. That would never come loose even if your stitching failed.