yldbill

Singer 29-4

I won a 29-4 on E-bay and was wondering what the limitations on this machine were? I've be getting some " schooling " from a saddlemaker in Phoenix, and he said that this was a pretty good machine for my first one. Right now I have been doing small projects like holsters and some tool bags for motorcycles, but I've been hand stitching all of them and my fingers are wearing out.

I just bought one last weekend in mint condition. I actually purchased it for a friend who desperately needed it. He wanted something that was a good usable antique, nothing modern.

I'd be interested in anything you find out too.

What sold me on the initial purchase was inserting a piece of 10oz leather, folded over and it went right through it like butter. I'm not sure how well it stitches something that thick but at least it punched through it.

I traded him that machine for a very large tattoo since he's a great tattoo artist. We both got what we wanted out of the deal.

If I find out any more info, I'll be sure to let you know. I'm sure there are a few on this forum that knows quite a bit on the Singers and should be able to help us both out.

Frank

These 29's are a handy machine to have around but were designed to sew 1/4" max for shoe repair.I've heard of people sewing thicker but it will take it's toll on the machine in increased wear.They can use a #69 or 92 thread which is good for wallets,purses & craft type items.Then since it was made for shoe repair it has a small arm to get in the shoe which means it has a small bobbin that will constantly need replacing & last since it was made f/shoe rep were it doesn't matter what it look like it has a top feed the foot has teeth on it to grip the leather & it'll leave marks that will have to be rubbed out if you plan to sell a finished product this might not be the machine for you.

Bob

I've been playing with mine for the past few days and loving everything this machine can do. I think I have the treadle down now. I do wish those bobbins were a tad bigger though. I'm playing with stitch length and thread size.... I love the sound they make.

.... I love the sound they make.

As Walter Mitty would say: these machines go tapoketa, tapoketa

I have a learned recommendation for all 29-4 and 29k small bobbin patchers. Buy a couple of extra bobbin cases and a few dozen bobbins. Also, get some extra bobbin springs and the little screw that holds and adjusts the bobbin tension.

Also, buy a replacement needle securing screw.

Next, locate a source of #69 300 yard nylon patcher spools of thread and stock up on all the colors you will use; two spools each.

Get a squeeze bottle 20 weight electric motor oil from Lowes (looks like 3 in 1, but has a blue label) and put a few drops into all of the oil holes and let some drip into the puck on the back.