After several years of constant wear, my favorite pair of deck shoes gave out. Rather than just pitch them, I decided to deconstruct them to see how they were made. Once I had all the pieces laid out I figured it wouldn't be that hard to create some patterns and make a pair of moccasins. So that's what I did, learning all the way. They fit like the proverbial pair of gloves and wear better than plain socks around the house. Think I'll make another pair for wearing outside.

SDC14330.JPG

post-12179-126315948563_thumb.jpg

THOES ARE VERY NICE A+.... WHAT TYPE OF LEATHER DID YOU USE?

I've always wanted to make a pair of moccasins... I guess I'll have to add this to my list of future projects. Yours turned out really great, by the way. Congrats!

You did a very fine job.

What leather is this?

Did you line it?

Good luck with your outdoor versions.

Paul

Thanks all. The leather is a pebbled grain upholstery leather I got on clearance from a Tandy outlet. I used some Eco dye on it.

What do you call the different lacing techniques you used on the toe and around the part wher the foot goes in (is there a name for that area)?

What do you call the different lacing techniques you used on the toe and around the part wher the foot goes in (is there a name for that area)?

I'm not sure about the name of the lacing technique. I looked at a couple of sources I have and didn't find it in them. Also, not sure about the hole but the leather around the hole is referred to as the cuff.

I tried a couple of stiching techniques and this one allowed me to keep to use the same technique and not make any adjustments. I like it because it looks nice on both sides when both are exposed. Yeah. Yeah. But how did you learn it? Honestly, it might be something I've seen in the past and my leather working past is very, very short (six months), but I just played around with some lace until I saw something that would work and I liked.

Anyone know the name of the stitch? Please give us the source if you have it too.

The stitch is quite simple. Starting on the inside and leaving plenty of lace to weave back through the stitch, go two holes forward. Stitch back to hole you crossed over, come out and go two holes forward. Repeat. The technique would suggest the name - 2 Steps Forward and 1 Back ;)

The key is to always make sure you come out on the same side of the lace that is covering the hole you come back to. Its also easier to leave the crossover stitch a bit loose until you've come back out of the hole. Of course, keep the lacing flat, no twist, etc.

Thanks and hope this helps.

Found it! - Just picked up a copy of Bruce Grant's Leather Braiding and there it was on page 146, Stairstep Applique of One Thong.

Wonderful job! Congratulations.

Found it! - Just picked up a copy of Bruce Grant's Leather Braiding and there it was on page 146, Stairstep Applique of One Thong.

Hmmm, very interesting, I like it! ... maybe I'll borrow it :notworthy:

Wow, great job!