wizard of tragacanth

Your Thoughts On Nylon Versus Linen Thread For Handstitching Holsters & Belts

I just switched from Nylon to linen cord. I did some research and found out that nylon will deteriorate with prolonged exposure to sunlight (UV) and can stretch up to 26% as it ages.

I also asked around here and found some people use it here for some of the same reasons.

Michael

Edited by mlapaglia

I like waxed linen for a lot of hand stitched items. It just lays down in the stitch line better, looks better, and FEELS better, IMO. Also, when I back stitch with it, I can cut it close and tuck the end and have no worries about needing to melt it or having a little piece of it sticking up to poke or snag anything.

Hand stitching I use linen that I wax myself. Bourbors linen to be exact usually 6cord. For machine stitching I use the bonded nylon thread.

I use linen thread waxed with a home brew of beeswax and pitch. I used to use nylon, but on a few projects I found that over time, the stitches started coming loose. I havent had that issue since switching to linen.

I do still use nylon on occasion, but its pretty rare, and usually for something for me. All of my customer work gets linen now, as well as any of my vintage items.

DM