markush

Holsters # 4 & 5...tried Owb This Time

Holster #4 for me is a copy of the Sparks Axiom for the M&P w/Frog skin trim. Thanks to forum member redhat4201 for sharing info on how the Axiom is put together! I love this holster! It is very comfortable carrying the FS M&P loaded down with 16 rounds of 180gr .40. I'm really happy with my workmanship on it but I am very disappointed in the Frog skin..it looks like shyte! I'm pretty sure I just got a couple of low quality skins but I won't be using it again anytime soon.

#5 is for my 1911, It's the first I've done for the 1911 and i see I'll have to tweak the stitch line in a couple places on the next one. I don't know if it's less comfortable because I strapped it on after wearing the Axiom copy for about 4 hours or just that the 1911 weighs more but yeah, it's slightly less comfy.

Feel free to point out what could be better! Other then tweaking stitch lines and cursing my use of the Frog I'm not sure what to do next...I've run out of guns that need holsters...

4910f93a.jpg

ff2d2417.jpg

I really wish I would have used Elephant on this one instead of the Frog!

e68e8db8.jpg

e8f00574.jpg

cb0456ac.jpg

Yes, you should be proud of your work on these. Show them to some friends and try to get some orders. Then you can make holsters for other people's guns.

Those look great! Are you handstitching those?

Holsters look great! On the 1911 holster you may want to rework your pattern to bring the rear "tail" in more towards the gun, which would have the effect of pulling the grip closer to the wearers body.

The overall fit and finish looks better than a lot I've seen with more time under there belt, I'd say your a natural.

Thanks guys. Yes I'm hand stitching. It is definitely the most time consuming and labor intensive part. There's about 4 hours of stitch work in the Axiom with the exotic overlay adding half of that... that's grooving, marking, drilling, stitching...

Thanks for the tip on the 1911 holster. It makes sense since the butt isn't pulled in as tight as I'd like. When I drew it up I made it a little longer so it would flex with the belt around my back. The reason I did that is that when I made one of my IWB with a short back wing it doesn't flex. So it sticks out more and creates a pocket between my belt and skin that prints through my shirt. I'm guessing you have to find a happy medium between too long and too short?

One area I'd really like to improve but don't know how to get there is in the molding and boning. I've seen some really impressive molding along with what looks like CNC precision boning lines. I would love to be able to do that!

Great job! Those look great. I like the frog trim.