K-Man

Pattern For 3-Legged Stool

Looking for a pattern (or patterns) for a three-legged stool. Would like to find a pattern that includes the layout and sources for quality wood legs and hardware.

Looking for a pattern (or patterns) for a three-legged stool. Would like to find a pattern that includes the layout and sources for quality wood legs and hardware.

There are some folks making these and posting in the furniture section, they might give you some ideas. I made one several years ago, just screwed the leather seat to the 3 legs I made out of dowels, I was copying one my friend had and never got to the connecting the legs together part. His was made of leather with the legs poked through then screwed into the legs, I know that probably made no sense. I wrapped mine all up in baling twine for a temporary fix, and now 8 years later I'm still using it that way...

Here's a link to a site that has instructions for sale.

http://www.bighousedaddy.com/three_legged_camp_stool.htm

Boy I need to read the whole title. I thought someone unlocked the adult section.jawdropper.gif

For the tri-bolt, people have taken 3 bolts of the appropriate size, aligned them & welded them together. As far as I know, the tri-bolts are not commercially available, because the market is so, so limited for them.

If someone could get me a tri-bolt set up, I know a couple of machinists who could probably make them for me.

Thanks for the other suggestions on where to get the patterns.

You do not need a tri-bolt to hold the legs together.

Take a look at this walking stick that converts to a three legged stool.

http://www.sustainla...XCSBWY2DIMHVO3A

They use a metal ring like Big Daddy does on his plans. The metal ring keeps the legs from separating and the angle of the legs across the ring distributes the persons weight down the leg.

Hope this makes sense. If not let me know and I will explain it better.

Also do some searching on here and you will find a person named UKRay that makes the tri-bolts for sale. He is out of England so take that into consideration when thinking about having the bolts shipped to you.

His WEb site is www.barefootleather.co.uk

Ray K.

Wood & Faulk has a great tutorial for making a 3 legged camp stool with a very clever way connecting the 3 legs.

http://woodandfaulk....ipod-camp-stool

I hope this helps

Rogue, thanks for sharing this link. That thing is awesome!

I have some of these that my Mom made back in the 50's or early 60's. The swivel is made from a couple of triangular leather pieces that have been sewn together, and have3 holes in them for each of the legs to pass through. They are kept in place by tiny brass brads, one into each leg through the leather.. The seat has a pocket in each corner that the tapered leg fits into. A very simple design.

Love it. I think I would use pockets on the seat so I wouldnt need to carry the legs, just find some when I get to camp

I love it. Will have to make one. I was thinking of using harness leather for the seat. What weight leather would you all use, would have to support 250lbs.

Thanks for the pattern

I personally use only 12 to 13 oz. and I don't secure it on the top with screws (too much risk of breakage due to stresses). Instead, I use the old styled cup method where the tops of the legs are tucked into the cup on the bottom of the seat. That is the way that they were originally made way back and I still have the one I received as a gift 42 years ago, and it still works just the same now as it did then (I just can't use it anymore is all). If you are looking to decorate it (stamp/carve & tool) then you will need to use veg-tan though.