Widget

1 Maul To Rule Them All

Ok, so that might have been a bit dramatic...sorry.

I'm looking at buying a maul (prob a Barry King if anyone has opinions on that). If you could own just one weight of maul, what would it be? I'm looking at mostly simple stamping, but stuff where you want a good whack (basketweaves, larger cams, etc.) and stuff where the taptaptaptap is better...beveling, back grounding, etc.

I do this on a shoestring budget so can only afford one, bottom line.

What's your (collective) opinions in the one weight to own? Thanks for any and all opinions.

Widget

I'm just waiting until I can get a 14 oz round Barry King maul. You can always hit harder if you need but if you're doing a lot of tooling/tapping/stamping you don't want to be holding up a pound and a half all day. Of course, I hope to one day have both. All I have now is the goofy little yellow thing from Tandy but I've used a couple of my instructor's BKs and I can easily see and feel the difference. As I get more experienced I may very well find I want others too but that'll do for now.

I'd get a 20 or 22 ounce maul. You can hit harder a lot more times with a light maul but it's hunting a bear with a switch no sense in it and you will work a lot harder for a decent impression stamping with a basket weave and such. I have a 14 / 16 ounce and a 20 / 22 ounce and for all round work the bigger one is the best IMHO.

I have an 18 oz. maul and it works pretty well for all around use. Generally use it with a pricking iron but I've done basketwaeve and other tooling with it. Works fine...not very fatiguing to me.

22 oz if only one but try to fit more than one into your plans.

I have 1 lb, 2lb, 3 lb, 8 lb and that is about right.

Just saying,,, www.tinyurl.com/bearmauls

yeah so what is your wait time on those right now anyway?

I clearly need to try more weights :-) (Widget, I highly recommend you listen the experienced users more than me. I've said it on LWN before but I should have been more clear in this thread that I'm still very new and can really only relate my limited experience - and that's the yellow Tandy hammer and a couple of my instructor's BKs - which were much more fun to tool with than the yellow hammer. I look forward to trying out many more weights - I thought the 14oz the teacher had was plenty heavy but if these guys are swinging a pound and more on a regular basis I have to seriously look at those weights too)

Those are beautiful mauls, BearMan!

:16:

I highly recommend the BearMan Maul post-15330-0-30795900-1402501793_thumb.j
This 15 oz maul does everything I need it to - it is well balanced and feels good in my hand... easy to use

although - a lot of folks have 2 (or more) mauls,

17 oz for the majority of tooling & 12 oz for delicate work.

Maybe up to 21 oz for the basketweave stamping....

btw, I've had mine since 3/2011 and it looks/works like new.

OH, and I love the title of your topic, Very clever! - Love LOTR!

Edited by LNLeather

Any chance we could get a price range on the BearMan mauls? I mean, I know I can't buy one today but I'd like to know what I should aim for...I especially love the Mesquite burls - I grew up in Texas and the smell of mesquite smoking a brisket holds a special place in my heart.

I made one many years ago, and have never found a need to use anything else. It is a 20 oz one with a stacked and turned handle and a stacked raw hide head. I can hit it light or yahoo! I use it for everything from tooling to whacking strap end punches and every thing in between, It just depends what is needed.

Bob

Thank you for the advice everyone. I ordered a 22 oz. Barry King Maul. It shipped today and I can't wait to get it (OK, I used it as an excuse to buy one of his swivel knives while I was at it...don't judge me :-)

Oltoot, I agree that there are probably weights for all purposes...I currently have three hammers of different sizes/materials/weights, but I find them tiring in long sessions, so I thought I'd try the maul.

Thanks again guys, appreciate your responses.

-Widget

Hi Everybody,,, LTC right now our orders have us at about a 5-6 week wait time.

Hi Everybody,,, LTC right now our orders have us at about a 5-6 week wait time.

Ok, thanks. Barry King it is, then. :)

I use a 16 ounce maul and love it but someone else might like something a little heavier

like everything else in leathercrafting YMMV

Ok, thanks. Barry King it is, then. :)

Ya the BK mauls are without a doubt the best bang for the buckIMHO

.Springfield has a good deal on them if you are a wholesale club member

Phew!