Wizcrafts

Wanted: Decals For A Singer 66-1 Redeye Sewing Machine

I am restoring a 1916 Singer 66-1 and need some decals to finish the job. The large name decals (SINGER) are worn off and some of the red eyes and scrolls are damaged. If anyone knows where I can get some very old design new Singer decals please let me know.

PICT0452.JPG

post-11118-126613371744_thumb.jpg

Hi Wiz,

As far as I'm aware, the short version is that you can't. You could get a second-hand ALPS printer and print your own on water slide decal paper if you can find or draw the the graphics to print out, but that's sufficiently difficult that nobody I'm aware of is producing them for anyone else.

You'll probably have more luck finding an absolute mint condition redhead machine than you will finding replacement decals.

This does bring up something I've been thinking about a fair bit recently, seeing as I have 20 or so antique treadles and hand cranks, which is that it would be really useful to establish a library of decals photographed in a standard way (fairly easy with a tripod) that could then be used to create SVG versions of the decal sets.

The fun part is figuring out how to flatten the graphic so that when you print is and then transfer it back onto the curved machine head it still looks right.

I am restoring a 1916 Singer 66-1 and need some decals to finish the job. The large name decals (SINGER) are worn off and some of the red eyes and scrolls are damaged. If anyone knows where I can get some very old design new Singer decals please let me know.

If you have a large scale sign shop where you live. One that does vehicle wraps, they could duplicate the logo and print with a dye-sublimation printer and cut the decal. The artwork might be the only deterrent. Do you have any good photos of an original decal, if so. It could be re-drawn/duplicated in Corel. We are also engravers, silversmiths and jewelers, so we have cad/cam capabilities and use Corel and other graphic programs, for duplicating brands, logos for conchos etc.. We also have a sign/decal cutter, but it would be only 1 color. Dye-Sub printers do amazing stuff.

Robert

www.cowboyjewelers.com

Thanks to everyone who replied, especially the ones regarding printing services. The machine is just going to have to sit in its case until somebody needs one and is willing to pay a fair price for it. I placed it on Craigslist twice and got zero replies. I cannot afford to invest in custom printing for a machine I already have over a hundred dollars in, don't use and can't sell for what I already have in it. It is a lesson too late learned, when I was just getting back into sewing, after 12 years out of the business. I now have two very heavy duty machines that take care of all of my leather, vinyl and denim work.

Should any of you come up with replacement decals at a reasonable price, I may consider buying a set. Otherwise, there is no need for any further replies.

Join ISMACS...if anyone has found them they will know. As a year ago no one had found them...they would have to be new old stock as they were foil with layers on them...very delicate and detailed.... there were some reproductions of some but they are gaudy and not very good.... I collect,restore and salvage old machines... I have hand painted details onto a few older machines not to make them perfect but to make them look a bit better...you can tell they are painted but it looks better than the missing parts on the ones that were really ratty! If it runs smooth and is simply missing decals OH well! Cat

I found this blog: http://ibennett.wordpress.com/

So somebody makes those decals. I am too restoring a 1916 Red Eye!!

Thanks to everyone who replied, especially the ones regarding printing services. The machine is just going to have to sit in its case until somebody needs one and is willing to pay a fair price for it. I placed it on Craigslist twice and got zero replies. I cannot afford to invest in custom printing for a machine I already have over a hundred dollars in, don't use and can't sell for what I already have in it. It is a lesson too late learned, when I was just getting back into sewing, after 12 years out of the business. I now have two very heavy duty machines that take care of all of my leather, vinyl and denim work.

Should any of you come up with replacement decals at a reasonable price, I may consider buying a set. Otherwise, there is no need for any further replies.

I am working on getting the Singer Phoenix pattern decals. Unfortunately they will not sell me the "SINGER" logo for trademark reasons.

Hope to have something to put to market in the next 2-3 months.

Darren