Heathen

A few Chrome Tan questions

Hi, hope this is in the right place. :)

I chrome tan sheepskins...wool left on..and deerhide when I can get it.

Does anyone here use sheepskins for anything other than rugs? I make rugs and boot insoles but am desperate for some new ideas.

The deerhides I tan, well, am finding the finished result quite thin and `papery` if that makes sense?

Will that be due to overworking when they are on the frames maybe? Is there anything I can do to soften them (they are hair on hides) that won`t make them papery thin on the suede side?

whatdoyouthink.gif

I chrome tan sheepskins...wool left on..and deerhide when I can get it.

Does anyone here use sheepskins for anything other than rugs? I make rugs and boot insoles but am desperate for some new ideas.

The deerhides I tan, well, am finding the finished result quite thin and `papery` if that makes sense?

Two suggestions:

For the sheepskins there could be a demand for custom motorcycle seat covers. I have one that I turned into a seat cover and I love it. Cooler than leather or vinyl in the summer, and warmer in the winter. Worth a shot, maybe check with local motorcycle shops, especially ones that specialize in customization.

For the deerhides ... These are hairless? If so then there are banjo makers that might be interested in the thin parchment like skins. I've used whitetail skins for a gourd banjo that I made and it works as well, if not better, than the the usual goatskins used for banjos. Some specialized drum/tamborine makers may also be interested in the skins.

Heathen, caint help on the sheephides..But do a web search on Brain Tan Leather

and do the deer hides with that process. I know that there are a lot of Pre 1840

reanactors in Europe that would like the product. but the finished leather should be 2-3oz.

Ps WELCOME TO THE FOURM YOU'LL LIKE IT HERE.......

Edited by Luke Hatley

Heathen, ...

Ps WELCOME TO THE FOURM YOU'LL LIKE IT HERE.......

And welcome from me too. Although, I'm new here also and with a whopping 5 posts to date.