Curbstrap2

Saddle With More Than One Makers Mark?

I have been cleaning up an old saddle and discovered it has 2 completely different makers marks.

It has"Carl Fuqua Wichita Falls TX" under both the right and left jockey, but on the rear cantle it reads "Simons Saddlery Albuquerque NM" That's kind of weird, isn't it? Can anyone tell me why that would be?

I'm not a saddler, by any means, but if I were to do extensive repair on one, I would claim part ownership, i.e. cantle remodel.

Curbstrap,

when you say "under the left and right jockeys", do you mean stamped on top of the fenders? If this is the case the fenders may have been taken from another saddle. If the stamping is on the skirts (under the jockeys) they could have been taken from another saddle as well.

Darcy

Curbstrap,

when you say "under the left and right jockeys", do you mean stamped on top of the fenders? If this is the case the fenders may have been taken from another saddle. If the stamping is on the skirts (under the jockeys) they could have been taken from another saddle as well.

Darcy

Its a double skirted saddle and the makers marks are on the bottom skirt right between the double rigging and under the fender. This is where it say 'Carl Fuqua - maker- Wichita Falls TX'. On the rear of the cantle and on the latigo holder is where is says "Simons Saddlery Albuquerque NM". The patters and colors are identical, so I would not think its been pieced together from different saddles, but then again I am no expert.

http://www.servimg.c...=102&u=13545244

Could it be that the Simons Saddlery commissioned the saddle and it was actually built by Carl Fuqua? I have no knowledge of either of them, but there are makers out there who have others build saddles for them. The main maker's mark goes on the saddle (often somewhat different than when that maker is the one who made the saddle) but sometimes they let the person who actually built the saddle put their mark on it too somewhere. Just an idea.

Back in the late 50's or early 60's there was a Simons Western Wear in Albuquerque. I can remember a lot of saddles in the store but do not remember them having a saddle shop. Thats been along time ago so there might have been. My guess would be that Carl Fuqua was making saddles for them. I am not sure when they closed but I am thinking it was in the 70"s.

RussH