SCOUTER

NEED HELP!!!

Sorry for the title scare but the fact that you are here shows that you are ready and willing to help someone and in my book you deserve a reward... Well, here it is- The other day while ordering some tools from Harbor Freight, I found this puppy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=96259

It is listed as a Carpet Triming knife and the Stock # is ITEM 96259-0VGA But we know this as a head knife. (Carbon Steel to boot!) Now I ordered one and I have to say that for $9 you can't go wrong. I will post this again in a couple of days but I just want to thankyou for taking the time to help... :thumbsup: The knife is not Osborne quality but sometimes you are rough cutting and don't want to dull your good knife...

HeadKnife.jpg

post-5432-1205355167_thumb.jpg

Edited by SCOUTER

It looks as if it would work as a head knife. I don't know how good the quality is though.

ArtS

Sorry for the title scare but the fact that you are here shows that you are ready and willing to help someone and in my book you deserve a reward... Well, here it is- The other day while ordering some tools from Harbor Freight, I found this puppy.

It is listed as a Carpet Triming knife and the Stock # is ITEM 96259-0VGA But we know this as a head knife. (Carbon Steel to boot!) Now I ordered one and I have to say that for $9 you can't go wrong. I will post this again in a couple of days but I just want to thankyou for taking the time to help... :thumbsup:

HeadKnife.jpg

Scouter. This is a good find in my book. Granted I make my books and not buy them cause I'm cheap....I mean .....very careful with my money....LOL I will look for your update and thank you for posting this. :specool:

Edited by Spider

Looks like a weapon that some of the old-line makers call a trimming knife. There is also a similar knife I saw somewhere called an Encher-something pattern. Looks pretty cool, and it should work pretty well. It might have a real name in Salaman's book on leather tools.

It is listed as a Carpet Triming knife and the Stock # is ITEM 96259-0VGA But we know this as a head knife. (Carbon Steel to boot!) Now I ordered one and I have to say that for $9 you can't go wrong. I will post this again in a couple of days but I just want to thankyou for taking the time to help... :thumbsup: The knife is not Osborne quality but sometimes you are rough cutting and don't want to dull your good knife...

HeadKnife.jpg

I think that Dixon made a knife similar to this and it was called a Bridle Cutter's knife. I have a catalogue somewhere and I'll have a look after.

Don Carlos also makes one in that pattern.

Art

HeadKnife.jpg

Sure looks ok and the price is low, there are lots of these low price knifes on the german ebay but im not sure of the steel quality keep us informed how it turnes out, Don

I couldn't resist. I ordered one too. We'll see how it does. Worst comes to worst I can use it for cutting floor tiles. LOL

ArtS

This is the Dixon bridle cutter knife.

Your knife looks cool Scouter and for the price you can't go wrong.

dixbrikni.jpg

post-1669-1205365422_thumb.jpg

I have a skinning knife that kinda looks like that too. Didn't think of it till just now. I will try to take a pic when I go home.

That's a weird looking knife. Let us know how it holds up. For 9 bucks you can't beat that. I will look for it next time I go down to HF. It may be an order only item though.

Marlon

It sure does look interesting and the price is redicilous. Can't make out if they ship to Sweden but maybe I'll try to look into it.

Thanks for the tip Scouter!

Tom

It sure does look interesting and the price is redicilous. Can't make out if they ship to Sweden but maybe I'll try to look into it.

Thanks for the tip Scouter!

Tom

We're out of luck Tom, shipping to this side of the pond is 5x the cost of the knife.

We're out of luck Tom, shipping to this side of the pond is 5x the cost of the knife.

did a quick google search, and found this.

http://www.carpetfittersshoponline.co.uk/q...rws095-70-p.asp

That was my first port of call. So I'm sure we can find one over here for a good price. Will have a proper look around later.

Vergez Blanchard VB3.646 Enchancree Knife with finger hold and Bubinga handle {01A2B068-AFC1-4427-BF5B-7C7F81D2B62E}_vb3.646.jpg

click to enlarge

Scouter - Thanks for the heads up on this. Here is a very similar knife from Siegal Leather. I think Weaver Leather sells the Don Carlos version as well. For the price you paying it's worth the gamble. You will get

very frustrated if it does not hold an edge for long. Like some of the others asked; let us know how it holds up.

CLICK HERE TO ORDER

1x1_trans.gif

https://www.siegelofca.com/view_cat_product...&curpage=3#

1x1_trans.gif

Scouter - good call. Like you say, even if the blade won't hold an edge for long, you can use it for those jobs where your head knife might be in peril of a ding. I checked my local HF and they do not carry it.

Looks like a weapon that some of the old-line makers call a trimming knife. There is also a similar knife I saw somewhere called an Encher-something pattern. Looks pretty cool, and it should work pretty well. It might have a real name in Salaman's book on leather tools.

Bruce - check the usual sources... Tobin's Spirit Guide, Spooks Illustrated, Spates Catalog...

:NEWFUNNYPOST::banana::lol:

Brent

So, the next time I ordered from Harbor Freight I put four of these knives on the order. I just received the order yesterday. The first thing I noticed was the Pakistan Label. I have been in the knife business (seller, maker, importer, collector) since about 1984, and remember ordering a container of Pakistan knives for about what Earl Scheib got for a good paint job, and at $9, I was a little skeptical. Finish is good for the price. These knives (I got more than one) were capable, out of the box, of creasing veg tanned leather. They kind of have a teardrop (convex) edge which is not fragile, but however not sharp. I took a soft Arkansas stone and sharpened the edge on the blade, then followed that with the hard Arkansas. This was done in a remarkably short period of time. I then tried to slack belt the other to put a convex edge on it. The second it hit the grinder I suspected the steel, so I tested it for hardness. Hardness out of the box on the two remaining blades was 40.5 HRC. So I tested the tester with a 45.5 HRC standard and the machine was right on. So I tested all 4 blades and they are all around 40-41 HRC. So that pretty much says it all, you get what you pay for, however for a $9 knife it isn't bad. It doesn't hold an edge as long as a $100 blade, but it is only 1/10 th the price, you'll sharpen it more, but a 40 HRC you probably never break it, bend it maybe. As with most Harbor Freight stuff, I find it usable, not the highest quality, but usable, and the price was right. Your Mileage May Vary.

Art

HeadKnife.jpg