You guys that put on two coats of dye when you dye a piece of leather. How long do you wait before you put on the 2nd coat? And do you buff the grain side right before you put the 2nd coat on?

And after the 2nd coat, how long do you let it sit before you do the final buffing on the grain side? After that, I see it is recommended to let it sit for a day before you put on the acrylic sealer.

I let the leather dry completely if I want a smooth "edge-to-edge" finish. If I want "texture" I push the process. It's best to experiment on an unwanted scrap from the same hide before doing that with your work. I learned myself that the hard way.

I let the leather dry completely if I want a smooth "edge-to-edge" finish. If I want "texture" I push the process. It's best to experiment on an unwanted scrap from the same hide before doing that with your work. I learned myself that the hard way.

Are you saying you let the leather dry completely before putting on the 2nd coat? I plan on brushing on the Fiebing's Dye Prep before my first coat. Though, I guess when putting on a 2nd coat, you don't have to wet it like you do the first coat. I could probably get by with one coat as I don't really notice a difference when putting on a 2nd coat. I only plan on dying with Fiebing's Pro Oil black dye.

If you are using the same black Pro-Oil dye for both coats, and it is due to not so saturated dark color as it usually was, then you may apply the next coat of dye as soon as the first one had dried a little and you can see that the first coat wasn't enough. I don't buff between coats, tried, but it wasn't necessary.

Before getting my last, very pale piece of the leather, the second dyeing by any Pro-Oil dye wasn't necessary: a good, even single dyeing always was enough for deep, even color. Including black.

I'm going to spray dye my leather pieces via Preval. I think what I'm going to do is get a large thick fold out piece of cardboard like what students use in the science fairs. Poke a metal wire through to hang my leather as the cardboard will be standing up. Spray it, then flip it around to spray the other side. I believe they say to flex the leather while it dries to keep it from getting stiff. Though on my test pieces with the Pro Oil, it didn't seem to stiffen it like the regular dyes.

Some of my pieces will be entirely cut out so I can dye the edges at the same time when I spray. Others will be ruff cut when I dye. Then I'll have to finish cutting it later and dye the edges seperately. Probably will use a brush to brush on the dye and then sealer.