Sign in to follow this  
johnggrg

Backpack Pattern

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone makes a pattern for a leather backpack? John

64 views and no one can tell me if someone makes a pattern for a leather backpack? Yes I have seen them for fabric. I just wondered if someone "made one for leather" Anyone? Has anyone made one before? If so did you buy a pattern or just come up with one yourself? John

Best answer is the one you discovered on your own. Use a fabric pattern as the basis and modify as needed.

You can also convert saddlebag patterns to serve as a backpack. When I did my first one earlier this year I just made it as I went along using standard bag making techniques found online.

Usually when someone views a thread and doesn't reply it means they don't know an answer, not that they're ignoring the post.

Can't imagine 64 replies of "I haven't seen one" would have done much good. Good luck with your project.

I agree with spinner. Modify a fabric pattern and make a prototype before you make the one for the project. (use something like heavy vinyl upholstery material to prototype)

...and be aware that unless you're using garment leather, the leather will much stiffer than fabric, so make allowances.

I traced one and sent it to SinPac. send me your email address and I"ll email what I provided him.. Keeping in mind that I only traced the outline and made a sketch. All you need to do is print it on card stock cut it out and use to trace on leather... I did not cut up my sap to determine what was on the inside...

DBP

Edited by DoubleBarP

I traced one and sent it to SinPac. send me your email address and I"ll email what I provided him.. Keeping in mind that I only traced the outline and made a sketch. All you need to do is print it on card stock cut it out and use to trace on leather... I did not cut up my sap to determine what was on the inside...

DBP

Hi there

I have seen one backpack pattern on a pattern site called wildthings you can download it from http://www.wildginger.com/products/wildthings.htm you could modify the basic pattern. It is very basic pattern but allows you to add pockets etc.

give it a try!

Pip

DoubleBarP thank you for the help. Pip thank you for the suggestion. But I downloaded the wildthings before and got more then I barganed for. Filled my computer with viruses. Programs starting up on there own it was a mess to clean up. I may have been unlucky and things may have changed by now. But don't want to risk it. but thank you very much for the suggestion. john