Here is my first whack at a filigree belt...I think it turned out alright, it took forever to cut out all of the background...What do yall folks think??? The dot on the leaf stem is the mark for the measurement if anybody is wonderin...Havent punched the holes yet and didnt pay attention when I took the picture...Anyways thanks for lookinrsz_filigree_002.jpg

post-6735-1233085826_thumb.jpg

Alright? That's REALLY nice!! It's really classy looking. What did you use to cut out the filligree? You did a really clean job of it.

Alright? That's REALLY nice!! It's really classy looking. What did you use to cut out the filligree? You did a really clean job of it.

When I first started I was using a exacto knife and then I sharpened a single buckstitch punch and used it kinda like a beveler...wasnt all that bad with that it just took awhile

That's just freakin' beautiful! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Alright? That is a seriously nice piece of work by anyone's standards. Congratulations!

+1 That is an Awesome Belt! Love the filigree it POPs! :specool:

Very Very nice!! What glue did you use to attach the backing on to the filligree?

Very Very nice!! What glue did you use to attach the backing on to the filligree?

Thanks everyone for the compliments...The glue is called Masters, its alot like Barges, it just has a faster drying time...dont have to wait as long for it to get real sticky

I do not know words to describe delight. Very beautifully. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Excellent. Simply Excellent.

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

Excellent. Simply Excellent.

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thanks I appreciate it

beautiful!!! What did you use for the antique and what color is the background?....and what is the material???pete

beautiful!!! What did you use for the antique and what color is the background?....and what is the material???pete

Fiebings Mahogany...Green Metallic liner...7/8 oz blank and a 2/3 liner

... I sharpened a single buckstitch punch and used it kinda like a beveler...wasnt all that bad with that it just took awhile

Really? Huh... I'm going to have to try that. I have to admit, when I saw the title of your topic, I expected to click on it and see a bunch of chewed-up looking edges, but that is nice and clean. Congratulations on a great piece. Thanks for posting.

Kate

Very beautiful. Great colour choice. :You_Rock_Emoticon: Would not know that it was your first time doing it.

Kiwi.

Looks great!! Just thought I'd throw a little tip out for people to try. Go buy a bunch of various sized Craftool veiners (preferrably with no scallops on the inside) Now sharpen them up...yes I mean grind them til they no longer look like stamps... they make great filigree punches!! I have been using mine for as long as I have been doing filigree. Along with different sized drive punches and the exacto for tight corners filigree becomes twice as fast if not faster.

Edited by Elton Joorisity

I like it, looks really good

:You_Rock_Emoticon::clapping::thumbsup:

Quite a excellent looking belt!!!!

Congrats on a well done job!!!

Tom

Nice belt I really like this one.

VERY NICE!

I have been planning my first filligree project. But the one thing that I have been wondering about is the the application of the glue.

I have always applied Barge to both pieces that are to be glued, wait, then place the two together.

But, with filligree, there is the issue of alignment so that the glue on the background piece does not end up in the wrong place.

Do you not worry about placing the glue on the background piece and just glue them together anyway. I have a feeling that I

am over analizing how to do this.

Thanks for any responces.

This is beautiful. If you were going to sell it - given the time and materials, what do you think a good price would be? I LOVE IT!

I am so glade to see the filigree coming back in style. That's all I did back in the 70's. Still have the messed up fingernail proving it, LOL, cut right throw my nail & finger one day.

Any way now I use the hot knife to do the filigree cut. It cuts like a regular exact type knife an seals the edges at the same time. Works like my laser only I can't fit a whole belt in my laser so sometimes I have to use a different method.

Yours looks wonderful!

Just thought I'd throw a little tip out for people to try. Go buy a bunch of various sized Craftool veiners (preferrably with no scallops on the inside) Now sharpen them up...yes I mean grind them til they no longer look like stamps... they make great filigree punches!!

Great tip from another guy who does awesome filigree work - thanks, Elton!

Kate