ruthless

What Other Ways Are There To Braid A Lead?

We're going to be selling three different widths of dog lead and I'd like them all to have a different style of braiding. So far we have these two, are there any other ways?

twists_LR.jpg

Strength is really important.

I found these online, but I can't find any other photos and I can't figure out how they're done. Does anyone know? Is it strong?

BAM01000a.jpg

That type of braid goes by many different names, such as Magic or Secret braid. I've made a few leads that required the type of strength you're looking for, but I grew nervous about them during attack and protection trials. I've been told and am convinced that making so many cuts into a strap weakens the whole significantly. Hopefully, someone can disprove that because I really like the looks of that braid.

I used a thinner leather and my cuts were 3/4" in length, 1/2" apart. You will most likely have to experiment on scrap before you find the key to the type and weight of your strap leather.

The braids look like 2 pieces inter locked. In one picture you can see a end and it looks like they were made out of bellies with all the wrinkles. The loops around the snap were used on bridle reins the times i have seen that. You do have the full thickness of the leather where it goes through the snap.

Edited by dirtclod

Do you know what it's called so I can find instructions on how to do it?

In one of the Australian Bush Craft books by Ron Edwards ( not sure which one ) it shows how to do the part on the snap and i t may show how to do the interweave. I have moved my shop and haven't found my books yet. Their still lost in a box some place.

You could try cutting slits in a couple of scrap pieces and see if that looks like the braided part.

I don't know what you call it but here are some pictures of one taken apart and then going back together slowly.

DSCF0555.jpg

DSCF0556.jpg

DSCF0557.jpg

DSCF0559.jpg

Dan

post-7224-126824694177_thumb.jpg

post-7224-126824696518_thumb.jpg

post-7224-126824698531_thumb.jpg

post-7224-126824701054_thumb.jpg

That's it Dan. I think in the book they called it a Kimbelry Knot i'm not sure what it's here in the states.

Thank you so much, that's really great help :)

Apart from those three, are there any other ways of braiding a leash?

You could do a round braid or a flat braid.

I just googled those and they're made with several strands, yeah? We only use bridle leather, it wouldn't work, would it?

You could braid it but if it's pretty thick i don't think it would look to good. You might try a little bit and see.

I just googled those and they're made with several strands, yeah? We only use bridle leather, it wouldn't work, would it?

For the style I posted pictures of I do those in heavy harness leather skived down to around 8/10 or so. Bridle leather will work just fine.

Dan

Borrow a copy of Bruce Grant's Leather Braiding. Lots of easy braids.

That's called a slit braid. The strap is folded over the clip or made into a loop for the handle. then the straps are slit in increments front and back in a stair step pattern.( ie. three slits, less than the strap width, on the front side and two slits on the back side, between the ones in front or as many slits as wanted but always one more on the front side) Then you pass the back strap through the top front slit and the front (which is now the back) through the next slit and the next and the next etc. Always working the back through the front.

Then it looks like the loose end is riveted to the top strap.

I've always called that a gulf knot and yes they're strong, I use them on bridle reins.

I have a few dog leads that I wanted to repair. They look similar to the leash on the left side on the first pic. I made a few practice runs on some old leather belts, but im having a hard time keeping the slits consistant and centered. Is there a jig or tool to make them easier to produce?

I think braided leather with multiple strands would look fine and be strong enough. If it's not, you could always go to kangaroo leather ;)

The 3 strand magic braids I've tried did seem to be weaker so I don't recommend that for leashes. The strands do not interlock as much as they would on a round braid. To get my cuts even I mark the back of the leather with a pen and cut from the back.

Apologies for the resurrection.

Can anyone tell me what the brading / splicing is called on the handle of the leads in the pictures?

I really like the look of it & fancy giving it a go, might start off in scrap before I move onto bridle leather!!

Many thanks

Dave