Sign in to follow this  
sheridanman

danny marlin knives

hi guys~

want to know if anyone has tried or uses presently a danny marlin skiving knife or any of his knives? it looks ok and is priced reasonably but i need feedback. im looking for a good skiving knife, a friend suggests a round knife for skiving, so im looking for a good brand besides the soought after vintage gomphs and osbornes. i have seen danny marlin knives and he has this angled blade specifically for skiving, how is this compared to an all around round knife thats also used for skiving and for other cutting? if anyone owns one of his knives how are they performing? thanks! hope i can start a good topic for skiving using the round knife or the real skiving knife. --ritch

I have a Marlin head knife and I like it very much. I think his blades are a little too thick, but that's an easy enough fix for me to knock the shoulders down. I haven't tried his skiving knife though so I can't comment there. I also have a W. Rose knife that I use the most, but my Marlin knife is right behind that one. I use them both for skiving.

Hope this helps.

I have a Danny Marlin skiving knife and a Bob Beard also, however I almost never use either of them...I now do almost all my skiving with a round knife. Once I learned to get the round knife sharp I began using it more and more and I just don't reach for the skivers anymore. I have found I much less restricted with the round knife than I am with the skivers which only allow you to skive a narrow edge.

Hope this helps....

Bobby

Like Bob, I do most of my hand skiving with a round knife. I have a few different ones for different cuts, but I like a wide one for skiving. When it really comes down to the bee's knees, I like a paring type knife. I am attaching a picture of some different knives, but the one I am talking about is on the right in the picture. It is pretty popular with the European influenced guys. The picture is a little deceiving, the bevel is pretty long on this knife and it will do some really fine work. Some of these come without the leather cover on the heel of the blade.

IMG_0001 (Small) - Copy.jpg

post-29-125876158407_thumb.jpg

Like Bob, I do most of my hand skiving with a round knife. I have a few different ones for different cuts, but I like a wide one for skiving. When it really comes down to the bee's knees, I like a paring type knife. I am attaching a picture of some different knives, but the one I am talking about is on the right in the picture. It is pretty popular with the European influenced guys. The picture is a little deceiving, the bevel is pretty long on this knife and it will do some really fine work. Some of these come without the leather cover on the heel of the blade.

Bruce how do you like the Watt knife. I almost bought one today but couldnt find anyone who had one. Let me know what you think of it for I am in the market for another knife.

thanks and sorry to Highjack

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

Tim,

I'll respond here, and it it takes off, we'll make a new topic and move it. Both of the point knives are Watt's. One I bought outright and the other was in silent auction basket I bought to get some other tools. They are alright. I mainly use them to skive a little if I don't get enough undercut on my cantle ear cuts. Maybe a little trim here or there in a tighter spot. They don't get enough use to really test them, and I really can't even justify having two. I just ended up with them both.

Tim,

I'll respond here, and it it takes off, we'll make a new topic and move it. Both of the point knives are Watt's. One I bought outright and the other was in silent auction basket I bought to get some other tools. They are alright. I mainly use them to skive a little if I don't get enough undercut on my cantle ear cuts. Maybe a little trim here or there in a tighter spot. They don't get enough use to really test them, and I really can't even justify having two. I just ended up with them both.

Rodger Doger. Thanks for the input.

thanks guys!

after reading some feedback from you and some lil' research here and there i think im gonna pull the trigger on getting myself a round knife or head knife. my best bet is a gomph the vintage ones or maybe the new ones. i am looking for the small sized ones since i have small hands. the jeff cook knife is nice too i like the curved handle looks like im gonna like the feel of that handle style when skiving. kinda pricey though. thanks i will post my knife when i get one. if anyone is selling some pls. contact me. thanks.