Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Anyone Want To Take A Shot At This Holster?

Got a request today from a fell who is looking for a holster for his 1911.

I'm going to pass on it but before I let him know I figured I'd see if anyone here wanted to have a go at it. If so I will pass your info along to him.

Firearm: Taurus PT1911AR in .38 Super, with Laserlyte V-3 Laser mounted on rail.

Holster specifics: Mahogany leather, RH, 20 degree cant, small of back, inside-the-waistband, tuckable, spring steel belt clip(s), thumb break, grip down.

Let me know if you are interested.

I couldn't tell, . . . did he order pepperoni or anchovies?

Thanks, . . . but no thanks, . . .

I did one of those for a friend with his Colt full size 100th anniversary edition, . . . rail, . . . lazerlyte, . . .

We never could get the lazerlyte to "zero". He traded it off, . . . then I made him a pancake for his Colt, . . . he loves it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

might be easier just to teach him to do leatherwork so he could make his own gun.gif

I'm going to pass on it but before I let him know I figured I'd see if anyone here wanted to have a go at it. If so I will pass your info along to him.

Firearm: Taurus PT1911AR in .38 Super, with Laserlyte V-3 Laser mounted on rail.

Holster specifics: Mahogany leather, RH, 20 degree cant, small of back, inside-the-waistband, tuckable, spring steel belt clip(s), thumb break, grip down.

From the grump; AIN'T NO WAY! ---- He'll hurt his little self!

Edited by katsass

I'm not a holster maker by any means but in reading this something strikes me as odd and not very user friendly:

small of back...inside-the-waistband...grip down.

Now, I'm trying to envision this and it would seem to me that these three things make this the most unusable holster imaginable. If I'm reading this correctly, he basically wants to have to dig into his butt crack to grab his weapon? Not to mention in the case of an accidental discharge he could potentially head shot the person next to him. Please educate me as something seems amiss (but a funny visual at the same time - not the head shot, the first part).

I'm not a holster maker by any means but in reading this something strikes me as odd and not very user friendly:

Mag well towards the floor, but probably normal cant. Not barrel up. It's a palm out draw as opposed to a palm in. I still think IWB would interfere with a good draw though.

Mag well towards the floor, but probably normal cant. Not barrel up. It's a palm out draw as opposed to a palm in. I still think IWB would interfere with a good draw though.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew I wasn't picturing that correctly.

Now, I'm trying to envision this and it would seem to me that these three things make this the most unusable holster imaginable. If I'm reading this correctly, he basically wants to have to dig into his butt crack to grab his weapon? Not to mention in the case of an accidental discharge he could potentially head shot the person next to him. Please educate me as something seems amiss (but a funny visual at the same time - not the head shot, the first part).

The reason that I would pass is...Mostly, the liability of the grip down draw causing the muzzle to sweep the body during the draw... And to a lesser, a small of the back holster causing back injury during a fall.

My reasons for passing are mainly, and in no particular order,

1: the SOB, which I currently do not offer as a standard item

2: the grip down draw, which forces people to muzzle themselves during the draw and presentation

3: thumb break on an IWB

4: spring steel clips

Just a story about the butt-down, small of the back position of carry:

Back when I was a firearms instructor for the Dept I worked for, we had a requirement for live fire quals with off duty weapons --- utilizing the holster in which the O/D weapon was normally carried, and from the position normally carried. One of the officers showed up with his duty weapon (it was acceptable to carry it off duty) stuck down in his trousers, in the small of his back, sans any holster, and with the butt pointing down. I asked if this was his normal, off duty, method of carry. He stoutly said this was how he always carried off duty, and that he had become quite proficient with this type of carry. I ensured that the weapon (an M-439 Smith auto) was empty and told him that we would give it a dry run, that on my signal he was to draw as rapidly as he was comfortable with, and come on to target. I gave the signal, he slipped his hand down his back, got a grip on the shooter, pulled, twisted his hand (as I knew he MUST). The front sight caught in his skivvies, then attacked his ass (leaving a long bloody scratch), continued up as he pulled (giving him one hell of a wedgie) then stopped when the skivvies refused to tear out. That's when he lost complete control of the weapon and it hit the grass of the range. He was immediately de-qualified from off duty carry. He returned (rather sheepishly) the following day with a brand new belt holster, worn in the 3:30 position, and was re-qualified for off duty carry. Butt down, small of the back, carry is not very viable. THe "Mexican Carry" is nothing more than a strong side carry, moved to the small of the back, and IS viable. Mike

Edited by katsass

Katsass, that's just too funny. I won't make an SOB holster, or wear one, either.

Katsass, that's just too funny. I won't make an SOB holster, or wear one, either.

steelhawk, I should have added that, although a viable way to carry in some situations, it is not all that comfortable nor as good as many other options. I personally would never carry an SOB rig --- and I don't make any. Mike

I think I've hurt something, I just laughed so hard at that description. I always wondered if underwear snags were an issue with some holsters.

From what you're describing, the customer want's a LEFT HANDED cross draw holster worn in the wrong place. That's how I designed the one I made for a friend.....and TOLD him that he'd be more comfortable with a regular IWB. 3 months later........"Hey, Mike, I was wondering if you can change this holster......"

My reasons for passing are mainly, and in no particular order,

1: the SOB, which I currently do not offer as a standard item

2: the grip down draw, which forces people to muzzle themselves during the draw and presentation

3: thumb break on an IWB

4: spring steel clips

I'm with you.

Just because people know what they want, doesn't mean they know what they're doing.

tk

Back when I was a firearms instructor for the Dept I worked for, we had a requirement for live fire quals with off duty weapons --- utilizing the holster in which the O/D weapon was normally carried, and from the position normally carried. One of the officers showed up with his duty weapon (it was acceptable to carry it off duty) stuck down in his trousers, in the small of his back, sans any holster, and with the butt pointing down. I asked if this was his normal, off duty, method of carry. He stoutly said this was how he always carried off duty, and that he had become quite proficient with this type of carry. I ensured that the weapon (an M-439 Smith auto) was empty and told him that we would give it a dry run, that on my signal he was to draw as rapidly as he was comfortable with, and come on to target. I gave the signal, he slipped his hand down his back, got a grip on the shooter, pulled, twisted his hand (as I knew he MUST). The front sight caught in his skivvies, then attacked his ass (leaving a long bloody scratch), continued up as he pulled (giving him one hell of a wedgie) then stopped when the skivvies refused to tear out. That's when he lost complete control of the weapon and it hit the grass of the range. He was immediately de-qualified from off duty carry. He returned (rather sheepishly) the following day with a brand new belt holster, worn in the 3:30 position, and was re-qualified for off duty carry. Butt down, small of the back, carry is not very viable. THe "Mexican Carry" is nothing more than a strong side carry, moved to the small of the back, and IS viable. Mike

That's a great story. I'm going to tell it the next time we teach a pistol class.

tk

That's a great story. I'm going to tell it the next time we teach a pistol class.

tk

As a Texas Peace Officer who carries s.o.b off duty and leatherworker specializing in holsters I can say this is both not user friendly the way he wants i,t and a real pain to make. good job on passing!