ranchmom77

Would Like Opinions On Which Machine Would Work Better For Me

Hi all,

Ive decided to bite the bullet and invest in a leather sewing machine, but I'm not quite sure which model would work best for me and what I intend to use it for.

I'll be making horse tack (headstalls, breast collars, bronc nosebands), spur straps, wallets, purses, belts, and possibly some garments. I'm not ruling out trying a saddle, but not for awhile.

I've decided that I want a Tech Sew model and have it narrowed down to a few.. The 3650 HD, the 2700, or the 4100 or 5100 (is there much difference between the two?)

I don't want to buy too much machine but I want it to be able to handle a wide range of jobs. I want one that is easy to use and geared towards beginner/ intermediate users as my daughter wants to try making hair on pillows too.

Thank you very much in advance and I look forward to your replies. :)

Jamie

Your best combination of the machines you listed is a model 2700, with a table attachment and the 5100, with all accessory feet and throat plates. The 2700 is best suited to thinner to medium thicknesses, ranging from 4 ounces to 20 inches. It handles thread sizes 69 through 138. The 5100 is best used with thread sizes starting at #138 and going up, and thicknesses from 8 ounces to over 3/4 inch. These two machines will sew everything you listed in your list. Each does a better job within its operating range than the other.

Great.. Thank you so much for your reply. I think I'm leaning towards the 2700 right now. Is there somewhere where I can read up on the difference in thread sizes and what each size is best used for? What size is the waxed handsewing thread that Tandy carries?

Hand sewing thread, like what Tandy sells for the stitching awls or hand needles, is either 4 or 5 cord waxed linen. None of the regular eye type needle machines can run waxed thread without serious problems. Then, only the biggest machines would even take a needle large enough to pass this thread, or tension it properly. It is the same diameter as #277 or #346 bonded nylon. The required needle size would be somewhere around a #25 or #26. This leaves the 2700 out.

If you intend to use waxed linen thread, set your sights on a Campbell-Randall Lockstitch, or a Union Lockstitch machine. These are needle and awl machines, with barbed needles and special tension paths that are friendly to waxed linen thread.

There is a needle and thread size chart on the Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines website.

Great.. Thank you so much for your reply. I think I'm leaning towards the 2700 right now. Is there somewhere where I can read up on the difference in thread sizes and what each size is best used for? What size is the waxed handsewing thread that Tandy carries?

Hi Jamie,

Thread size 346/350 with #27 or #27 needle is typically used for heavy duty horse tack, saddles etc

Thread size 270/277 with #25 or #26 needle is used for general horse tack, knife cases, gun holsters.

207/210 with #24 needle is used for saddle bags

135/138 with #23 needle is used for belts, purses, notebook covers

90/92 with #22 needle is used for leather items such as purses, handbags, belts, wallets

69/70 with #20 needle is used mainly in upholstery, purses, garments and other items made with thin leather

Feel free to give us a call any time if you have any other questions!

Ron

Still kicking the idea around.. Now I'm leaning towards the 5100 because it says it does a full range of sewing from light up to heavy.. Which accessories would I need to be sure I got with it?