Vintage Spirit

Introduction & A Few Questions

Hi, guys & gals!

What a wonderful resource you have created with this community! So glad that I ran across it.

A number of years ago I worked my way through one of Tandy's starter sets/kits that contained half a dozen or so projects. It was a lot of fun. Not sure why I didn't continue doing leatherwork. Perhaps, it was because I found everything Tandy sold to be quite expensive, or I got busy doing something else. It's hard to say. In any case, I'm gearing up to give it another try. Pretty much starting from scratch. Sure, I would like to get good enough to sell a few items, but being able to make my own belts, wallets, etc. will also be quite rewarding. Plus, I figure doing this might help me to stay off of Facebook! ;-) I wish my new starter set would arrive...

Now for the questions:

Not that I plan on going into the holster making business, but do you who make them for sale (large or small scale), carry any kind of liability insurance? What if some dunderhead shoots himself or someone else and blames it on the holster?

How many of you belong to Tandy's Wholesale Club? If you do, at what level (Gold or Elite)?

I've read here not to buy one of Tandy's large tool sets, just to buy what you need as you need it. Any particular places besides Tandy and maybe eBay where you like to by stamping tools and such from?

After all the reading here and elsewhere I have been doing the last few days, I guess I don't have as many questions as I thought, so I guess that's it for now... Thanks!

Joe

Welcome to LW, VS.

I can't say much about holsters but, you bring up some good questions. As for the Tandy Membership, I am an Elite Member. You save more here, at this level should you buy from Tandy to resale. As for as this site, this is the best one around. I do more lurking than posting, I.m not much of a writer, but I knoe I.m welcome here anytime.:grouphug5vj5:

I look forward to seeing your work here.

Welcome to LW, VS.

I can't say much about holsters but, you bring up some good questions. As for the Tandy Membership, I am an Elite Member. You save more here, at this level should you buy from Tandy to resale. As for as this site, this is the best one around. I do more lurking than posting, I.m not much of a writer, but I knoe I.m welcome here anytime.:grouphug5vj5:

I look forward to seeing your work here.

Michael, thanks for the response!

How long had you been leather working before you decided to go Elite at Tandy? Right now since I'm just starting out again, Gold sounds pretty good. Especially, when you combine the discount with sale prices. I suspect a lot of people hold out until Tandy has a big sale. Then they stock up on what they need. If I was going to make a BIG purchase at Tandy right away, I think Elite would be the way to go.

I see that you are interested in making rosaries. I've made quite a number of knotted, dyed twine rosaries. Never seen a leather one! Sounds interesting. I've done a search here and only found info on rosary cases. I'm not Catholic, but I enjoy making the twine ones and giving them away...

Joe

As for Tandy Leather Factory memberships i am getting a gold one some time this month I don"t make enough to buy an elite membership yet... I would sign up for free monthly sells flyers at their web site. And if a big tool set goes on sale I would get it if it does'nt just wait or buy tools seperately...

Hope this helps, ~New Leathercrafter