Chris of WV

3/4 Oz. Leather And Other Questions...

Hey all, had a quick question or two for you. First of all, I bought a Craftsman Grade 3/4 oz. veg-tan side from Tandy when they had their Open House sale this month (the one that was $40). I just got it today (they had to backorder it for me), and I opened it and unrolled it. Surprisingly, for a craftsman grade skin, there were no humongous holes or really bad "issues". So, my question is, what kind of projects can I use that thin of a leathr for.

My second question is: I do have a project in mind... I'm thinking about making some sort of notebook cover out of it (extremely simple, elastic band to hold the notebook in, nothing special), but the leather will need to be able to ben without cracking and be a bit more "supple" (I believe that's the correct term). Is there any way to "soften" veg-tan, or should I just abandon that idea?

Thanks!

-Chris

3 oz isn't heavy. It will become softer with just use. But a coating of neatsfoot oil/lexol, etc will help loosen it up.You don't need a heavy coating. Do a test piece so you'll know just how much you'll need.

Make sure you show us a pic when it's done!

You could do a lot of coin purses with that weight, maybe wallets with liners, lots of things.... I just got my first side too so am considering all of the possibilities! What I am going to attempt is a holster. I will use a 7/8oz back and a double layer of the 3/4oz on the front - which I will have an inlay in. ... If I can figure it all out ; )

I haven't been there in a while but the Tandy Blog (sorry I don't have a link) had a few projects that use lighter weight leathers. Eyeglass cases and small items like that.

Softening can be done with saddle soap, neatsfoot oil, glycerin or lanolin. I would clean the item with saddle soap first then oil it myself if I were concerned about how flexible it is.

I use the 3-4oz weight as a liner for heavier leathers. Especially when I need a clean lite colored look.

Sorry about the photo size.

post-11406-000964100 1304091057_thumb.jp

Edited by GrampaJoel

Congrats on getting a good one. The one they sent me is 2/3 holes and insect bite scars. :(

I'm using what I can of it for masks and medieval belt pouches.

That should be about the perfect wieght for a book cover. The portfollio I use every day at work is 3-4oz calfskin leather, with a pigskin lining. It took about a week to really soften up. I've learned since, that if I wet the inside after its all put together, and fold it while wet, it will keep it's shape. I also use that wieght for wallets, check book covers, and key rings.

Thanks os much for the suggestions guys! I was meesing around with it yesterday and ended up making a card case and a money wallet real quick... Much different to work with than belt leather or garment leather, almost a combination of the two. :) But, if anyone has any other ideas, tips, or suggestions, I'm ready to listen and learn!

Thanks,

Chris