Sign in to follow this  
DavidL

How Many Wallets Can Be Made From 20Sq Hide?

The size of the wallet is a bit larger than a credit card. One piece of leather is double the width of a credit card and folded in half length wise and there are two smaller pieces that are smaller than the size of a credit card.

How many wallets can I expect to make realistically and made to the same quality avoiding the belly area and flimsy parts of the leather.

The answer will depend on the quality of the leather and your standards for suitability. Some people like leather with markings, scars, etc., and some people want leather as consistent as vinyl.

I just rolled out a 23 sq ft hide, and used a 4" x 4.5" glass burnisher as a guide. I counted 95 usable pieces without using belly or bottom edges of the hide. Without knowing the exact dimensions of your pieces, I would guesstimate 30-40 wallets as you described could be made from it... with some leather left over.

For estimating purposes, I would assume 1 sq ft of hide per wallet, though, so the yield should be higher than budgeted. 20 ft hide, at least 20 wallets.

Edited by johnv474