Sign in to follow this  
McJeep

Dyeing And Waterproofing Questions

Just finished a project for my bike. I'm pretty satisfied with how my carving and braiding is coming (pretty new to this) but not real pleased with my finishing efforts. The last thing I want to do is have a bunch of returns coming back because customers are having colour coming off etc.

If you look at the picture, you'll see that I have some red showing through the black topcoat. I saw it as it happened so I kept buffing till I achieved a bit of a distressed look - wasn't much else I could do. I had basically dyed the whole piece with fiebings red. After it dried for a few hours, I applied fiebings pro black everywhere that it was supposed to go. When I was buffing off the excess, the black started coming off too. I take it that I can not layer different colours and expect them to take well? Suggestions?

For weather proofing, I decided to try just using multiple layers of fiebings aussie leather conditioner. I liked the idea of bees wax for the water proofing aspect and am not personally a big fan of really shiny finishes. The leather conditioner also started lifting more black dye. I had let it sit for a couple hours before buffing as well.

Can I not layer dyes to get the relief that I want?

Am I not letting things dry long enough? (I was a bit rushed as I wanted this to be on the bike for a weekend rally - netted me four more jobs :0)

What would be the best process for sealing and proofing my projects without a glossy finish - I want my pieces to end up being known for style AND being almost bulletproof so far as weather goes.

All advice is certainly welcomed folks - thanks for reading

Rob (aspiring to produce solid products)

261610_205199646194213_196182280429283_530351_986555_n.jpg

Nice looking piece. Unfortunately black dye is notorious for rubbing off. Most people covered it with Neatlac to seal it in place and I don't think that is on the market anymore (although I could be wrong) Neatlac made a glossy finish I think but I don't know since I've never used it. I do however have an unopened can of it but prefer to use other things. I'm sure the other seat builders will chime in but my process is stain with an airbrush (yes you can layer) then I add leather balm with atom wax for my resist (sprayed on) if I'm going to antique. final seal with leather balm to seal antique again sprayed on to prevent blotching my antique. then after it's all sealed I use Kiwi neutral shoe polish for a water resist.

P.S. are you wearing pink crocs in that pic

Scott

leather balm? Haven't seen that before - thanks much for the advice - I'll look for it

My wife took the picture LOL - that's my story and I'm stickin to it! hehehe

'kay - found it - muchos garcias :)