cartilige

Leather Skull Cap

I'm looking for a way to create a leather skull cap for wearing under maille. If posible I'd like to do it without wet moulding (as I do not have a suitable mould of my head) but if someone can advise how to wet mould it I will give it a shot.

Thanks

I'm looking for a way to create a leather skull cap for wearing under maille. If posible I'd like to do it without wet moulding (as I do not have a suitable mould of my head) but if someone can advise how to wet mould it I will give it a shot.

Thanks

Not wet molded, but I made a "Snoopy cap" for a skull one time. I started at the center of the skull and folded two pieces of leather into the positions they would be in after sewing, only rough side up. Then I marked them both so I line to sew on and I ran that through the sewing machine. Then I did two more pieces that joined the first two where the skull turned downward. These pieces had the chin-strap material on them. When I had them sewed up I ran seams along the front and back edges and trimmed and glued the three "fore and aft" seams I had made.

I hope that made sense.

Not wet molded, but I made a "Snoopy cap" for a skull one time. I started at the center of the skull and folded two pieces of leather into the positions they would be in after sewing, only rough side up. Then I marked them both so I line to sew on and I ran that through the sewing machine. Then I did two more pieces that joined the first two where the skull turned downward. These pieces had the chin-strap material on them. When I had them sewed up I ran seams along the front and back edges and trimmed and glued the three "fore and aft" seams I had made.

I hope that made sense.

Thanks Gawdzilla, it sort of makes sense but I'm struggling to understand where the seams are. Do you have a diagram of where they lay?

If you're not wet molding then you're cutting pieces to shape and sewing them together.

Just make it like one of the old leather football helmets.

Do a google image search for leather helmet and you'll see a ton of examples. The easiest would be similar to cutting a circle into quarters and sewing them together using strips of leather.

Thanks Gawdzilla, it sort of makes sense but I'm struggling to understand where the seams are. Do you have a diagram of where they lay?

The first seam is fore-and-aft down the center of the head. The middle of an imaginary mohawk if you will. The other two are half way between the center of the skull and the top of the ear, where it joins the skull.

Thank you. I think I understan what to do now. I'll give it a go in the next few weeks and get back to this thread.

Thank you. I think I understan what to do now. I'll give it a go in the next few weeks and get back to this thread.

There's another way to do that. Take two pieces of leather and put them on your head rough side out. Ruck up enough leather to staple a seam in the shape of your head from along the mohawk line and have someone tack it in place. Then you simply sew along the staples. Do the same for the left and right seams and you have a guaranteed fit. If your head is symmetrical. If it's not, ... well, that's none of my business. ;-)