Raven

Braided collar help

Well, this site's just what I've been looking for :) I was looking for some help with braiding as my partner wants me to make a braided leather collar for our Shih Tzu. Apparently round collars are better on long haired dogs.

Anyway, I had a bit of thonging I'd made while trying out my lacemaker tool so I gave it a go. Sorry the pic is poor, our camera is not so hot a night pics

braid002a.jpg

Got the braid done reasonably well but now I'm stuck! How do you take 4 separate pieces of leather thonging and securely connect them together? As I said, it's for a collar so I'd want one end to take a buckle and the other flat for the holes. This is quite thin thonging so I'm a bit wary of just stitching a piece on top and bottom

*edit*

Just been looking at the leash on Myriams site and was wondering, could I braid the buckle and D-ring in so I only have to secure the other end? Would that be secure enough?

Edited by Raven

Well, this site's just what I've been looking for :) I was looking for some help with braiding as my partner wants me to make a braided leather collar for our Shih Tzu. Apparently round collars are better on long haired dogs.

Anyway, I had a bit of thonging I'd made while trying out my lacemaker tool so I gave it a go. Sorry the pic is poor, our camera is not so hot a night pics

braid002a.jpg

Got the braid done reasonably well but now I'm stuck! How do you take 4 separate pieces of leather thonging and securely connect them together? As I said, it's for a collar so I'd want one end to take a buckle and the other flat for the holes. This is quite thin thonging so I'm a bit wary of just stitching a piece on top and bottom

*edit*

Just been looking at the leash on Myriams site and was wondering, could I braid the buckle and D-ring in so I only have to secure the other end? Would that be secure enough?

Hi Raven. :welcome:

I see you've done some considerable work on the collar already. I'm afraid my suggestion requires starting over. I would start out with 4 thongs and do an 8 plait with core. Braid the buckle into the end where you have the pen inserted. Braid to the place you want the D-ring and slip 4 thongs through the

ring and then start your 8 plait again until you're ready to flat braid the part that goes through the

buckle.

The reason I suggest using 4 thongs is that I don't think just two thongs holding the D-ring will

be strong enough.

Hedge

i have made several hundred braided collars. from experience i will tell you that 4 strand while do-able in a flat, is not as simple as a collar with more strands as it doesnt leave much width for the flat part very hard to find buckles for. does it need to be a buckle collar? a round slip collar is very easy. what kind of leather is it? the lowest i like to braid flat is 6 strand...it will give you a nice look and is relativly easy to transition from round to flat. if you will post the width of your lace and what hardware you are going to use i will try to post you a tutorial.

That would be fantastic Tracy:)

I'm using 1/8" thonging and have 5/8" buckles and D-rings. These collars are almost impossible to get here, the local pet shop only had one rolled leather collar available and was unable to get more! There were no braided leather collars at all.