leathervan

Any Tool That Puches Many Holes At Once?

I am going to start making a briefcase which I will hand stich. The pattern shows hundreds of holes that have to be punched. If I try to punch those holes one at a time it will be a days project. Any tools that do it? I may have to rig something up myself. I did put a row of nails in a piece of wood and attached an iron backing and then hit it with a hammer but the leather is too thick for the nails to go through. Any ideas?

Also want to add, if you punch them one at a time you will not get them spaced correctly, you need to have at least a two pronged punch, one prong goes into the prepunched hole.

Or.. If you really want to make a career of it, a stitch spacing wheel and an awl :huh:

Also, I've known people to use a drill press and a very small bit after the spacing wheel.

I use these diamond shape chisels. I have them in 2, 4, and 6 prong versions.

DSC06070_zps8ea4558e.jpg

Leathervan, if you intend to hand-stitch a briefcase, you are in it for the long haul. You will sorely regret it later if you are tempted to take shortcuts at this early stage.

As they say, "You're in the Army now."

Good luck,

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit

My Tippman Boss gets used 98% of the time as a hole puncher for hand stitching and 2% as an actual sewing machine. Keeps the holes perfectly spaced and lined up as it punches through to the other side. What used to take me about 20 minutes to punch by hand is done now in like 45 seconds.

Just food for thought if you are going to be selling those briefcases. It will pay for itself with the time you save.

Edited by barehandcustoms