leatheroo

How i make my masks

I decided to make a new mask today so i thought i would grab the camera and take a few pickies.

This mask is planned as a wall hanging although it could be worn.

As Mrs Head had a twin, i decided to cut her in half and glued her to a board, i find this better for wall projects.

no_1.gif

Using 2mm leather, i cut a rough shape of leather, this depends on the shape of the mask...big..small....wide...tall..

no_2.gif

With this mask i had a general idea of what i wanted, so i cut the basic shape and then cut some long skinny bits and the section for the nose and the split that i knew i wanted at the top of the head. Time to wet the leather..i give it about 30 secs in warm water until no more bubbles appear.

no_4.gif

Now comes the fun part..time to pinch and bend the leather into the shape you want. Sometimes the leather dictates where the folds and flaps and stickie out bits will be...i find this also depends on the begining shape you have cut.

continued next post

post-4514-1208241401_thumb.jpg

post-4514-1208241522_thumb.jpg

post-4514-1208242267_thumb.jpg

The photo belows shows the half way mark of the shaping, note the little claps and pins, these help keep the folds where you want them until they dry a bit. Remember to use a strip of leather under the clamps so you dont get marks on the leather.

no_5.gif

Here is the mask with both sides done. It was quite hard to get both sides the same and have made a note to self when doing a mask like this to work each side as i go and not to complete one side and then have to work to get the other the same

no_6.gif

no_7.gif

continued next post

post-4514-1208242409_thumb.jpg

post-4514-1208242692_thumb.jpg

post-4514-1208242765_thumb.jpg

Here is the finished mask ready for drying. Note that i have removed the clamps. The leather will stay in place now and if the clamps are left on you will get marks as the leather drys.

no_8.gif

Note that i have cut off two of the danglely things at the bottom, they werent working so off the went. I often cut and trim as the mask forms. Sometimes you have these great ideas but they dont always look right.

As the mask drys i tend to fiddle a bit, fixing edges, improving curls. I find the half way point of drying is a good time to get the modeling tool out and smoothe the leather where needed.

Below you can see the finished mask all dry, just waiting to be painted.

no_9.gif

And here she is, all finished.

finished.gif

My 14 year old son is always telling me my masks are 'dum' and not very good. I showed him a photo of this mask that was made while he was at school. I told him that someone from this forum made it and he said.."That is soooo much better than the ones you make mum, why dont you make them as good as that!"

What a golden moment when he walked into the other room and saw it lying on the table!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Caroline

post-4514-1208242957_thumb.jpg

post-4514-1208243323_thumb.jpg

post-4514-1208243562_thumb.jpg

Roo....lying to your children :nono:

Other than that tpough, great looking mask as always.

Ken

Outstanding! Nice work Roo!

Someday I am gonna try one of these too! How come there is so many cool things we can do with leather but only 24 hours in a day? I need moer time or more arms and hands...either would work!

:You_Rock_Emoticon: Beautiful work! Absolutely!

I really don't know what else to say, but ... yep, that rocks!

Hi Caroline,

I really like the way that one turned out, the shape and the color! Thanks for taking the time to show us all how you do that. I'm with Froghunter, one more thing I want to try sometime, if I ever get that far down the list.

Clay

Thanks for the instructions, roo. Another great looking mask! I kind of had an idea of how to make these, but now I really know. I totally agree with Ken and Clay, we all need more time so we can try all these neat things!

gratz!! really beautiful creation. Thanks for showing the steps. It was incredible to see how you make them. Linda

Wow, Caroline! Great mask and great tutorial! Thanks so much for posting that. It is so educational to see how other artists work. Always gets the grey matter whirring!

How did you do the coloring? It looks like airbrushed pearlescent paint. Is that what it is, or is it something different? Thanks,

Hey Caroline, :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Great tutorial and stunningly beautiful mask! You're so good with that metallic colouring of yours and I always love to see your masks.

Maybe your son gives mom proper respect from now on, lol.

Tom

Very Nice! Thanks for showing how you do this. :clapping: I was wondering how this was done. The paint is fabulous. Do you get wear and show off your masks anywhere? On that thought - your son should take your masks to show and tell at school - I bet his classmates would think that your work is "super cool".

Crystal

I'm with your son - I love this mask!

Thank you so much for sharing your mask-making technique! I will do the same, since we use different thicknesses of leather and our techniques are also different.

But first, I need to catch up on the paperwork side of things. It seems like either my desk is overflowing with things that need attention, or my workbench is. Someday I'll achieve balance between the two : )

~Tammy

You see Roo, I knew I was right about you. AWESOME!!! This is one of my favorite pieces thus far.

Also, I am a firm believer in trickery with the kids. I mean, what sounds better? Let's play in the water with our toys, or time to take a bath.

oo! oo! now that's a great mask and explanaition!

Nice! the things kids will say! LOL My oldest was the same way till she made her own belt. When her friends asked where she BOUGHT it? and she said she made it no one believed her.....

thanks everyone,

TOM..yes i airbrushed the mask with pearlescent paint, though i do have trouble photographing this type of paint.

Wow! thank you for posting this. I have to tell you that I never really appreciated masks before looking at your website a week or so ago - your masks are so poignant and expressive - I was completely floored! I had to show my wife and she had the same reaction. You are an incredible artist!

~nuncanunca

Where do you get leather that thin?

I didn't realize leather could be sculpted like this. Possibilities. Darn this new medium is going to get expensive.

Darn this new medium is going to get expensive.

yep. that's what I said. only a little more colorfully. :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: LOL

Thank-you for posting this, 'Roo - neat mask, and great info!

Kate

Where do you get leather that thin?

I didn't realize leather could be sculpted like this. Possibilities. Darn this new medium is going to get expensive.

hi dreams, the leather i use is usually 1mm veg tanned calf skin, but this was made from 2mm, i have found sometimes the 1mm is too thin, though the thicker is harder to work.

Roo,

Thank you for posting the tutorial. If am a fan of your masks. A true sense of Art and Form complimentining one another. As for your son, and your trickery , Good for YOU!. Sometimes they have to be fooled to see from another perspective. Ahh, the education of our youth, they do not come to it easily! lol. I aslo agree with others, it is an expensive craft, but I think the most rewarding. I too have trouble photgraphing after some paints are applied. Looks like photography classes may be next! Sigh, more money. lol

Thank you again,

kimber

VEry , very nice !! I very happy you did this and you did why making a very cool looking mask and not just a loneranger style mask. Thank you for taking the time to write it all up......YOU ROCK !!!!!!!!!!