mncarpenter

Tippmann Boss Bobbin Winding?

how in the heck do you wind a bobbin and get it level, with even tension, with a drill??? I go slow, and try to keep the thread level, it always ends up with a ball on one end or both, sometimes in the middle-drives me nuts.It makes a difference when stitching also, with tension changing at times. is there a technique for this, or better yet a bobbin winder?? other than the goofy little spindle? Thanks for any help, I love this thing otherwise.

how in the heck do you wind a bobbin and get it level, with even tension, with a drill??? I go slow, and try to keep the thread level, it always ends up with a ball on one end or both, sometimes in the middle-drives me nuts.It makes a difference when stitching also, with tension changing at times. is there a technique for this, or better yet a bobbin winder?? other than the goofy little spindle? Thanks for any help, I love this thing otherwise.

I have the same problem. I've been thinking of a bobbin winder of some kind, drill etc............ If you can picture this.............................. on the spool placing a piece of leather insde the spool serving as a drag and a leveler. Hows that that for a discription:spoton:

I have the same problem. I've been thinking of a bobbin winder of some kind, drill etc............ If you can picture this.............................. on the spool placing a piece of leather insde the spool serving as a drag and a leveler. Hows that that for a discription:spoton:

funny you say that, i've had the same thought. I tried holding my thumb on it but that gets convoluted real quick. I've even considered tearing a baitcaster reel apart and using the pawl to make a level winder...

For what it is worth, . . . I've had my Boss for a number of years now, . . . never did master making the bobbin perfect from end to end, . . . but I also have not had any real problems with it. A medium speed in my 3/8 inch drill allows my hand to load the bobbin fairly evenly, . . . but it isn't any where near perfect.

I have found though, . . . that it really doesn't make any difference.

I should qualify that though, . . . as the thread may be the difference. I use Tandy's thread exclusively, . . . it is waxed, . . . Tippmann's is not waxed, . . . I also only use two sizes (for the most part), . . . 346 and 407. Whatever I am using on top, . . . is also on the bobbin.

I don't have bobbin problems.

May God bless,

Dwight

For what it is worth, . . . I've had my Boss for a number of years now, . . . never did master making the bobbin perfect from end to end, . . . but I also have not had any real problems with it. A medium speed in my 3/8 inch drill allows my hand to load the bobbin fairly evenly, . . . but it isn't any where near perfect.

I have found though, . . . that it really doesn't make any difference.

I should qualify that though, . . . as the thread may be the difference. I use Tandy's thread exclusively, . . . it is waxed, . . . Tippmann's is not waxed, . . . I also only use two sizes (for the most part), . . . 346 and 407. Whatever I am using on top, . . . is also on the bobbin.

I don't have bobbin problems.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight,

you use 407? That's pretty heavy. Mind if I ask why?

tk

Dwight,

you use 407? That's pretty heavy. Mind if I ask why?

tk

Simple, . . . I like the "bold" look of the heavier thread. I don't really use it much, . . . it's kinda sorta one of those "artistic" thingys some folks do, . . . I'm one of them.

Just every now and then I'll do a piece that needs a little "boldness", . . . grab the 407, . . . voila.

May God bless,

Dwight

I like the heavier thread myself as well, been thinking of stepping up one size from the 277 I typically use.

As far as winding the bobbins, I hardly get them anywhere resembling even and havent noticed any problems as a result.

Simple, . . . I like the "bold" look of the heavier thread. I don't really use it much, . . . it's kinda sorta one of those "artistic" thingys some folks do, . . . I'm one of them.

Just every now and then I'll do a piece that needs a little "boldness", . . . grab the 407, . . . voila.

May God bless,

Dwight

Gotcha. I started using 344 for the top thread on most of my holsters as while ago. It does have a somewhat bolder look, especially on very dry, firm leather like Hermnan Oak. May have to try the bigger thread as well.

thanks

tk

I try to get mine as smooth as possible, but that rarely happens. In fact, I don't think it's ever happened! But, I figure the smoother I can get it, the more thread I can fit on the bobbin. However, I have to assume that a zig-zag pattern on the bobbin would be the least likely to have snags - much like an open-face fishing reel would spool the fishing line, though you'll sacrifice a bit of capacity on the bobbin.

I predominantly use 207, 277, and 346. Just depends on what it is I am doing. As for winding the bobbin, while it does make some difference, it is not noticeable unless you are working with a low tension. I haven't been able to get my perfect wind yet myself, and I been doing it for years, been thinking about getting a bobbin winder, they are out there, just haven't gotten round to it yet. I generally use a lot of tension, I like my stitches really tight, and since I also almost always use a stitch groover to give me a good line to follow, it gets my stitches down in the leather so they won't wear too soon.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as it is close to even.

Bob

I predominantly use 207, 277, and 346. Just depends on what it is I am doing. As for winding the bobbin, while it does make some difference, it is not noticeable unless you are working with a low tension. I haven't been able to get my perfect wind yet myself, and I been doing it for years, been thinking about getting a bobbin winder, they are out there, just haven't gotten round to it yet. I generally use a lot of tension, I like my stitches really tight, and since I also almost always use a stitch groover to give me a good line to follow, it gets my stitches down in the leather so they won't wear too soon.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as it is close to even.

Bob

maybe thats why I'm seeing the changes in tension- too low of tension?? I know at times,for a few stitches, the bottom stitch doesn't pull in- so do you crank the tension down on top and loosen the bottom?

maybe thats why I'm seeing the changes in tension- too low of tension?? I know at times,for a few stitches, the bottom stitch doesn't pull in- so do you crank the tension down on top and loosen the bottom?

You need to adjust so that the crossover of top and bottom thread is in the middle. Tighten both the top and bottom . I usually take a piece of scrap the thickness that I am going to sew, and stitch it an inch or so, then check it by cutting it down the stitch line as looking to see where the crossover is and then adjust from there. Like I said, I like it tight , so I adjust accordingly. Usually I can see it by just looking at it. You'll get the hang of it after a while.

Bob

I have a bobbin wnder on one machine, bobbin winder that runs off the belt on another and never use them. I still use the spindle that came with the Boss for all of them. I sold the Boss several years ago but Tippmann had packed two winders in the tool kit. I keep a pretty good separation between the hand that feeds the thread and the bobbin being wound. I tension the thread between my thumb and forefinger and start off slow until I have the threads laying in, then hit the gas and let it rip. I get more even bobbins doing that than with the winders. I can do them up faster than setting one up on the machine and am not distracted by watching a bobbin fill while I am sewing.

My Boss came with a rod machined to accept the thread in a slot, you then place the bobbin over it and stick the other end in a drill. You have to work it back and forth with your finger as a guide though.

I've been kicking around the idea of taking an Old Penn Bait Caster fishing reel and seeing if I can modify it to accept the bobbins, then I can just hand crank it onto the bobbin with whatever tension I set the drag too.

Hi there:

Here is a winder that quilters use. It has a tension guide... The thing that would concern me with your winding with a drill is twisting the thread.

http://www.allbrands...09633-0994.html

Here's a link for come coupon codes to sweeten the purchase

http://www.allbrands.com/images2/common/coupon_codes.html

I've bought several things from Allbrands. Pretty good folks over there.

Edited by Sylvia

That's a cool gizmo Sylvia, and the price seems very reasonable!

Regarding winding with a drill - it's the exact same concept as the machine you just posted. The only difference is the bobbin is attached directly to the drill, instead of being driven by a detached motor. Neither method would be any more or less prone to thread twisting than the other.

Hi there:

Here is a winder that quilters use. It has a tension guide... The thing that would concern me with your winding with a drill is twisting the thread.

http://www.allbrands...09633-0994.html

Here's a link for come coupon codes to sweeten the purchase

http://www.allbrands...upon_codes.html

I've bought several things from Allbrands. Pretty good folks over there.

Will that handle the size bobbin that is on a Boss? does anyone know?

I use an electric screwdriver with a drill chuck attachment. It has 2 speeds so It is slow enough that it winds pretty smoothly. I also run the thread through the first tension post on the boss to give me a start on the tension. Then I just use my fingers to finish it.. It takes about 3-4 minutes but they are pretty smooth.cost me around 25.00..

post-22515-084233400 1333143894_thumb.jp

Edited by mlapaglia