Bob A

Holster Design For Comments

I just wanted to share a holster design that I put together. This is a leather version of the drop and offset holsters being made out of kydex. I shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge pistol matches and have used a similar holster made from kydex for the last few years and wanted to see if I could make something comparable out of leather. I have not spent any time trying to finish the edges or anything yet, I'm just trying to see if I can make it functional. If this one works like I want I will go back and make another one to finish and try to make it look nicer. Let me know what you think. MY DOH front.jpg

post-13533-126603258625_thumb.jpg

Another Pic.My DOH back.jpg

post-13533-126603283805_thumb.jpg

And another one.

My DOH side.jpg

post-13533-126603325288_thumb.jpg

Looks good from here. Is it stiff enough for what you are looking for?

Looks good from here. Is it stiff enough for what you are looking for?

It is made from 8/9 oz leather and is fairly stiff on its own, but I added a thin steel stiffener to the drop portion of the holster that I think will work good. If you look at the side view you can see the stiffener in the belt loop. I wish I could get a preformed piece of spring steel for this, but had to work with what I could get for now. I have only been able to practice with it so for, our Steel Challenge match canceled today due to most of the pistol buys looking like ponds. I will be using it for some upcoming matches and a lot more practice to see how it fairs and if I want to change anything about the design. Once I work out any dislikes or problems I find during use I'm going to make another one and really concentrate on the looks. It will be a working holster but I want something with a little better looks than the kydex ones and I can customize how ever I want. I will try to make updates for anyone interested as to any problems with this design or changes I find that it needs.

I could see the metal in the drop loop, from the function POV, it looks good. You might want to bone the interior, and wax it to cut friction.

You can get Kydex and form it to the shape you want for stiffening the strap.Definitely need to bone the interior or double layer the leather so that it's smoother, particularly for what you want to use it for.I haven't seen a holster quite like this posted on here before. I think it's great when someone is trying to do something different.

I could see the metal in the drop loop, from the function POV, it looks good. You might want to bone the interior, and wax it to cut friction.

What would be a good product to use inside a holster? I am still very new to this and any help is appreciated. Thanks

You can get Kydex and form it to the shape you want for stiffening the strap.Definitely need to bone the interior or double layer the leather so that it's smoother, particularly for what you want to use it for.I haven't seen a holster quite like this posted on here before. I think it's great when someone is trying to do something different.

Thanks for the comments. I thought about using kydex but didn't want to wait on it to get here, though I may use it next time. I wouldn't have to worry about the kydex rusting like the metal that I used this time. I also may try one later on with a liner, I think it would look nice, but for now am working with what I have on hand. I just started working with leather around Christmas time and still have a lot to learn. I have never seen a holster like this either and I guess that's part of the reason I wanted to try it. It may go through a few versions before I get it right.

Bob

What would be a good product to use inside a holster? I am still very new to this and any help is appreciated. Thanks

Off the top of my head, rub the inside with some 120 grit sandpaper. then start rubbing in some Gum Tragacanth. Someone else mentioned a piece of canvas on an arbor in a drill moter to work inside areas, and that sounds like a winner to me at the moment.

Off the top of my head, rub the inside with some 120 grit sandpaper. then start rubbing in some Gum Tragacanth. Someone else mentioned a piece of canvas on an arbor in a drill moter to work inside areas, and that sounds like a winner to me at the moment.

Thanks. I am going to try to smooth out the inside some. I think in the future I'll give these areas a little more attention before assembly.