Ferg

Glue For Small Pieces

I have noticed in a number of Videos, especially across the pond, the glue used is white, rather thin, and holds really well.

Is this simply a different formula of contact cement? I love Barge Cement and use it extensively but on occasion something with

a more thin consistency would be nice. The contact cements available that are solvent based always seem to be too "sticky" when applying.

We used latex contact cement for laminates for years but it is not a good idea for leather work as the color of the cement has a tendency to

show where it shouldn't.

ferg

According to the English shoemaker we have at the shop, the white glue is PVA, which is water soluble and takes forever to dry, you just don't have to wait for it in the videos. Otherwise, he says they use the same type cements we use. I thin out the bristles on my brush and thin my glue for control.

Latex cement that I've used never really dries and if you oil something later, the cement oozes out and is unpleasant.

Kevin

I've also had problems burnishing edges that have dried contact cement seepage from between the layers.

I was looking at the glue in this video and went and bought 5-6 varieties from the local hardware store. After nearly $40, I still haven't found this clear glue they are using.

Edited by reddevil76

PVA is a wood glue, it takes a long time to dry but I don't think you can remove it if you stuff up, it tends to leave a milky 'ghost' or a shiny spot if it dries quicker than when you get to it.

I did get a white glue that was thin from a supplier (Australia) which I reckon is PVA from the smell and consistency but they market it as 'leather glue' ( bottle says it's water resistant leather adhesive). It's not sticky at all when you apply it, it's quite wet then forms a skin that dries from the outside in. I got it at birdsall-leather.com.au You could send them an email and ask what it actually is.

As mentioned it is probably PVA. Very common in book binding. It is the only cement I use. It does not take long to dry. The trick with PVA is light coats. If you put it on heavy it takes forever to dry. I am partial to Jade 403 available at Talas. Plus This particular cement has the same odor as elmers glue. Nothing really offensive like Barge.

The other benefit to PVA, is you can dye it after it is cured. And texture it while it is curing so it is ideal for restoration work and patching.