Sign in to follow this  
Blackey Cole

M1911 Leather Puttees Pattern Needed

Since I shoot and dress up when attending SASS matches I try to go the military route for my costumes. Mainly since I retired from the military and secondly it takes the guess work out of it. 75-99% of the time I go for period correct although I save the wool for the cooler and hotter months. My wool pants were just as cool as my jeans. The only pants that were cooler was my pigskin ones.

I'm tried shooting Wild Bunch a time ortwo and have the guns and a uniform for the turn of the century The only problem is the gaiters , they just will not stay on as they don't conform to my legs. Si I figure leather would stay put better. So now to find a correct pattern, preferably a usa manual link. That way I just copy what the suppliers used to make the originals. I also need a source for the oblong eyelets used for the upper strap .

Any help with either would be great. TIA

Since I shoot and dress up when attending SASS matches I try to go the military route for my costumes. Mainly since I retired from the military and secondly it takes the guess work out of it. 75-99% of the time I go for period correct although I save the wool for the cooler and hotter months. My wool pants were just as cool as my jeans. The only pants that were cooler was my pigskin ones.

I'm tried shooting Wild Bunch a time ortwo and have the guns and a uniform for the turn of the century The only problem is the gaiters , they just will not stay on as they don't conform to my legs. Si I figure leather would stay put better. So now to find a correct pattern, preferably a usa manual link. That way I just copy what the suppliers used to make the originals. I also need a source for the oblong eyelets used for the upper strap .

"Ohio Travle Bag" might have what you are looking for..

Hi Blakely

You might find locating a pattern for gaiters a tad difficult. But if you want something that you can fit to your personal shape... you might try adapting a casting technique of pattern making to your purpose.

Basically you put on a knee high cotton sock and have someone duct tape up your leg... over lapping the edges of the tape by at least 1/4" Decide where your cut lines will be and mark them. Then mark horizonal or perpendicular reference lines across your cut lines... then cut the whole thing off. Pull the sock off the tape and dust the sticky side with baby powder or corn starch. Use this to cut a pattern from card stock or butcher paper... be sure to measure and mark a seam line on this pattern.

If you need pictures to look at .... try this link http://www.seamlyne.com/design/costume/footwear/footwear_index.asp

If you have not done so already you might post this on cacity.com there is a wildbunch forum and a forum that deals with uniforms and period correct clothing. I think you will be a ble to get some help over their as well. Not that you won't get help here it is just that those forums are specific to what you are looking for.