Leatherman87

Retail Vs Wholesale Pricing?

is it worth getting a tax id in order to get the wholesale pricing? places like weaver are there prices lower then say Wickett and Craig?

trying searching but came up with nothing also call weaver they would tell me prices with out a tax id.

So is it worth it?

Thanks!!

It depends on how much you buy a year.

and how much paper work you like to do each year.

Places like Tandy and Springfield leather offer memberships for a price that get you better pricing. consider that.

Well i plan on starting a business. That beening said uncle sam will get his money one way or another.

And i don't wanna be on the short end of the rope looking at a audit down the road. This would be my first time ever starting a

business. Soo im kinda scared. lol

I need around 4 hides to get me started.. W&C want $600ish for 4 hides..

Well i plan on starting a business. That beening said uncle sam will get his money one way or another.

And i don't wanna be on the short end of the rope looking at a audit down the road. This would be my first time ever starting a

business. Soo im kinda scared. lol

I need around 4 hides to get me started.. W&C want $600ish for 4 hides..

If you plan on running a legitimate business, by all means, get the tax id #. Weaver is an excellent source of most things you need in the business. Tandy or the Leather Factory usually has imported hardware, little stainless steel, and in my opinion, generally poorer quality. They do have some really good sales once in a while. Two other great sources fro hardware and leather are Walsall Hardware out of Az. and Siegal of Ca. Siegal had good prices, great service, andalso have hardware such as c.s. Osborne. If you have a tax id, Weaver gives a discount on 5 plus hides, but depending on what type of leather you want, check out W&C overstock sale. Great prices and no minimum. Hope this helps

A sales tax id number is for selling not buying. If you want to sell your items and collect sales tax you have to get it.

A sales tax id number is for selling not buying. If you want to sell your items and collect sales tax you have to get it.

That is not correct Kustom. To buy wholesale, you have to give a tax id in most cases. You can either give them your SSN (BAD idea of course), or go get a tax id #, otherwise known as an EIN.

That is up to you, if you want collect taxes for the state. No Weavers leather is not cheaper than W&C, Weaver buys a lot of their leather from W&C. Weaver is not nice to deal with anymore since Vernon Weaver sold the business 3 or 4 years ago. I used to buy stuff from them before they sold out I did not have a tax id either. Since the new buyer took over I can not buy anything from them. They will not tell me the cost of any of their stuff without an id. They don't realize that I do not need them to conduct my business.

is it worth getting a tax id in order to get the wholesale pricing? places like weaver are there prices lower then say Wickett and Craig?

trying searching but came up with nothing also call weaver they would tell me prices with out a tax id.

So is it worth it?

Thanks!!

Edited by busted

Exactly what i wanted to know. Save my self the hassle. and just buy from W&C.

That is up to you, if you want collect taxes for the state. No Weavers leather is not cheaper than W&C, Weaver buys a lot of their leather from W&C. Weaver is not nice to deal with anymore since Vernon Weaver sold the business 3 or 4 years ago. I used to buy stuff from them before they sold out I did not have a tax id either. Since the new buyer took over I can not buy anything from them. They will not tell me the cost of any of their stuff without an id. They don't realize that I do not need them to conduct my business.

An EIN can get you wholesale at a lot of different places, and since your gonna lose money hand over fist when you start, why not get a free EIN? You won't be paying taxes for a while, and SLC where I get most of my stuff tells you right with the item how much you saved. And you do save because if I do a quick search there without logging in, I see the retail prices. Cheryl

What are the places that will give you wholesale pricing without a state resale tax idea number, and just a EIN? Do they give you wholesale pricing and not charge you sales tax if you're in the same state?

That is not correct Kustom. To buy wholesale, you have to give a tax id in most cases. You can either give them your SSN (BAD idea of course), or go get a tax id #, otherwise known as an EIN.

What are the places that will give you wholesale pricing without a state resale tax idea number, and just a EIN? Do they give you wholesale pricing and not charge you sales tax if you're in the same state?

No where that I know of. You still need to be registered to pay state sales tax, so an EIN alone wouldn't help you as much. However, the sales tax registration alone doesn't work either because it would be under your SSN. The EIN gets your personal number off the paperwork so you don't have to be worried about who you're sending it to every time you open an account with a new supplier. That's why an EIN isn't just for selling, but also buying.

I have everything I need. Cobra class 3 all my hand tools I just wanna save money on leather. But without a ein weaver won't tell me anything. Soo I though I would ask if it's worth the ein.

Well getting the ID is free. What it will cost you is time, since you will have to do quarterly tax estimations. Best suggestion I can give you is to go do some quick reading on starting a business. You'll have to look at your sales and see if the time is worth it.

This is the way it works. Been there done that. An EIN will get you wholsale anywere and allow you to collect sales tax. With this luxury you have to fill out business paper for the IRS, either Schedule C, or whatever you need. On the other hand, if people tell you, that you can lose money for years and still be okay with the IRS, they are dilusional. You can lose one year, and then it is considered a hobby and all bets are off. Check with a CPA in your area. Like I said been there done that. When Uncle Sam hauls you into his office he's not real kind.

Jon

I don't know how they do it in your state. I had the woman at the California State Board of Equalization tell me " A seller's tax permit is for selling, not for buying. If you get a permit and buy stuff and don't pay us any sales tax we'll yank your permit."

Well she's right. The point of wholesaling from a crafter's point of view is as a sales tax pass through so you don't have to pay twice. If you are purely a hobbyist then this is a pointless discussion. Don't even think about business registration. You can't get a business tax ID, buy wholesale, and then keep or give away what you make. This discussion is for people who are or would like to sell a majority of their production to make a profit or at least break even.

The fact that you're from Cali explains the confusion. It seems like there is not one single thing the CA state government can leave be, even if 40+ other states have a well established working system similar to each other. Who are they trying to kid with this Board of Equalization stuff. In almost every other state it's called the Dept. of Revenue or something similar.

Also in California you can not buy spirit based dye or the good Barge contact cement without a sales tax permit. Before I had mine I'd go to Arizona to stock up.

Well she's right. The point of wholesaling from a crafter's point of view is as a sales tax pass through so you don't have to pay twice. If you are purely a hobbyist then this is a pointless discussion. Don't even think about business registration. You can't get a business tax ID, buy wholesale, and then keep or give away what you make. This discussion is for people who are or would like to sell a majority of their production to make a profit or at least break even.

The fact that you're from Cali explains the confusion. It seems like there is not one single thing the CA state government can leave be, even if 40+ other states have a well established working system similar to each other. Who are they trying to kid with this Board of Equalization stuff. In almost every other state it's called the Dept. of Revenue or something similar.