LeatherWerks

Which Machine Would You Buy And Why

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new machine, one I'm going to use mostly for leather upholstry work. I was hoping one of the experts might let me know what machine they thought was the best for my work. The Consew I can get new for 1250.00 or so, the Juki for around 1850.00.

Thanks,

Steve

Im far from an expert, but from your bio you seem to specialize in holsters. I just bought a Techsew 4100 and am very pleased with it for sewing heavy leather projects like holsters. In order for folks to help you you need to be a little more specific of the Juki and consew you are looking at.

A Consew 206RB(-5), or Juki DNU-1541, or LU-1508 (for heavier materials) are all top of the line upholstery machines. All are able to sew leather, up to a maximum of 3/8 inch, with #138 to #207 thread. They use the commonly available system 135x16 leather point, and 135x17 round point needles. These needles are available in sizes up to a #25. The Consew has a large M style bobbin, while the Jukis have a larger double capacity hook and bobbin.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new machine, one I'm going to use mostly for leather upholstry work. ...

Thanks,

Steve

Where is there anything mentioned about wanting to use it to sew holsters?

Edited by Wizcrafts

The only holsters you can sew on a Juki, Consew, Chandler, or Singer walking foot flat bed upholstery grade machine are pancake holsters. You will be limited to a maximum size 207 thread. The large M or DNU/LU bobbin machines can hold enough #207 thread to do plenty of holsters. You machine will be pounding hard with #207 thread, a #24 needle and lots of foot pressure.

For leather standard upholstery, use #138 thread, with a #22 or #23 leather point needle. If this is too large, go down to #92 thread, with a #19 or #20 needle.

In his Bio it says his specialty is holsters.

Art

Where is there anything mentioned about wanting to use it to sew holsters?

Okay, I guess I should have given more info than I did. I have a Cobra class 4 that I bought from Steve T. That's what I use to sew belts, holsters and thick stuff. The problem I have is that I'm trying to do some upholstery work and other items that use less than #207 thread. Getting the tension right on a Cobra 4 using 69 or 138 thread is a feat that Art and the Wiz should only undertake. Hence the need for a new machine, or at least the justification for that need to my wife.

The Juki sounds like a small step up from the Consew 206RB-5 but it's also $600.00 more. The prices I'm quoting here are from a dealer in my state. I'm trying to avoid $300 in shipping charges. When I bought the Cobra 4, I purchased it at the Wikenburg, AZ trade show and brought it home in, believe it or not, the back of a Toyota Prius, fully assembled.

I don't feel like I made a bad decision on the Cobra 4, and that decision was based on recomendations here on this forum. Since this is a new machine type for me, I was hoping to rely on the expertise again.

Thanks,

Steve

I'm following this post a bit now (I'm looking around for a machine myself): The Cobra class 4 should be able to use threads all the way from 69 to 415. Why is it that you have difficulties doing the thinner threads? Is it a Cobra problem only?

Lucas

Edited by bikemaniac

Lucus for me, using #69 thread is not so much a problem, the Cobra 4 will do it, but I have always found it difficult to get the bobbin tension tight enough. It can be done, but then if you need to go back to #277, it's a process to get the tension correct again. So, the Cobra 4 will sew using all the thread sizes you mentioned, I'm just not a fan of making adjustments everytime I change projects, i'e., holsters to billfolds.

Steve

I have a 206RB along with the cowboy 4500. They seem to complement each other well. I don't use the 206 too often but its nice to have when I do. I've been considering selling it and getting the Cowboy 227r as I think I could get a little more use out of it for lighter weight stuff and I could get a flat bed attachment for when I do need a flatbed.i have a little while to think about it while Bob is waiting on more to come in. For upholstery work though the 206rb would certainly be a good choice and is a solid machine. I have no experience with the Juki but I'm sure its great as well.

Changing back and forth has always been a problem, hence most folks that do it a lot have two machines. For fancier wallets, sizes 46 and 33 look nicer along with shorter stitch length, you can get those sizes in a ton of colors and put up onsmaller (weight) spools.

Billy, you might also look for a Singer 153w101 as it is a good cylinder arm machine only no reverse. Bob might be able to get you into a good one inexpensively.

Art

Art,

Thanks Ill look into the Singer, I could probably do without reverse and if its cheap enough I'd just keep the Consew. The one thing I use it for is zippers in leather jackets, I'd assume I could do them just fine on a cylinder machine if that's all I had but it would be nice to have both too.

Billy,

The Singer 153w101 is basically the top end of a 111. All the zipper and cording and welting feet of the 111 fit the 153w101 also. There are gazillions of new feet for the 111 all over the Internet.

Art

Ok that's good, I'd be able to use the feet I already have then. This might be the way to go, I figure if I sell or trade in the Consew it'll probably cost me between 600-700 more to get the 227r. I should be able to get into the Singer for about that I would think, give or take a little anyway.

Billy,

The Singer 153w101 is basically the top end of a 111. All the zipper and cording and welting feet of the 111 fit the 153w101 also. There are gazillions of new feet for the 111 all over the Internet.

Art

Art,

What's the difference between the 153w-101 and the 103?

Billy,

Art

Not a lot, the 103 might have trimmers. Don't get a 102.

Art

There's a 103 on eBay but I think they want too much for it. Its just the head and they claim the stitch regulator isn't working. I'd rather get one from Bob that I know will work and has been gone over. Ill email him and tell him to keep his eyes open for one. What is a reasonable price range if I found one on Craigslist or eBay? There is one on eBay but I'm thinking its too much as I'd have to get a table and motor and reducer and potentially have it gone over.

Thanks.