Julesinnola

Rivet Setting Press/foot Press/die Press- Help Please!

I've been working on leather for about 20-30 hours a week (I do pretty much everything the 100% manual way), and I'm beginning to have enough problems with my wrists and elbows that I either need to automate some things or quit.

I've thought about getting a Tandy Craftool hand press, mostly for punching holes and setting small and medium double cap rivets. But I also saw in another thread here that there are foot presses to be had (goldstartool.com is the only source I've found for these so far, but my research has been limited to reading all of the threads here and a few google searches).

My questions are:

1) For those of you with hand presses, do you think they are more or less "elbow grease" intensive than using a hand rivet setter and mallet? (Is pressing that arm still going to aggravate my ancient 34 year old elbows?) Are any particularly better than others? I watched a video at

2) Am I going to lose a finger using a foot operated one? Are the non-electric foot pedal machines difficult enough to operate that I'm going to develop a knee overuse problem, too? When I watched the video for the Heritage Foot Press, it looked like the operator had to really stomp (his whole body came forward when he pressed).

3) What about electric ones? (That really seems like a way to lose a finger, and I'm super lost when y'all talk about modifying motors. I'm afraid of ending up with a very expensive paperweight.)

Any input y'all have regarding choosing a press (or something else) to help save my body is appreciated, including specific brand recommendations that may be easier to operate (or that I should avoid).

Thanks,

Jules

Edited by Julesinnola

Jules, it would be helpful to know more about your situation. You didn't mention, for example, whether you have a budget to work with.

One thing to consider when you are looking at rivet setting tools/machines is the extra time and motion necessary to use them. For example, even with hand tools, you must have an anvil or appropriate surface right in front of you or you will need to either move to the anvil's location or move the anvil to yours. Then there is the time and motion required to retrieve to tools, place the leather, maul the setter and so on and then put it all back when you are done. Then with manual tools there is always the likelihood and nuisance of mis-setting a rivet and having to remove it and re-set a new one. That doesn't happened with a hand or foot rivet press.

But even with a hand press, you have many of the same issues. If you mount it to your bench, you will have to move to its location each time setting a rivet is needed. If you mount the hand press on a slab of wood or leave it un-mounted you will have to be moving it around on your bench. These hand presses aren't light -- something to consider If you are concerned about your joints.

These issues are compounded when using a foot press (which cost into the thousands of dollars, and require dedicated floor space in your shop). You will have to prep all your project pieces of leather and move them to the riveter's location and back when you are done. So, unless you are in a true production mode and anticipate having all your pieces prepped ahead of riveting, you will have a lot of movement back and forth.

So, I would do some real careful thinking before you make the plunge with a foot press. You can get a dedicated hand rivet press for about $50. That's my personal solution as I don't need a machine to set spots, snaps, etc. I get to thinking about the overhead and expense of swapping out dies each time I want to set a snap, rivet, etc.

Bottom line: think before you leap. :)

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit

Jules,

I've been looking at this machine press. It has gotten good reviews here on the forum and it is low cost. The dies, which can get very expensive, are reasonable as well.

Gold Star Rivet and Snap Press

Michael

Michael, that press is made to fit metric grommets, snaps, rivets, etc. You need to buy all this hardware from them (or many other online sources for he same press and dies). I already have thousands of SAE (non-metric) pieces of hardware )mostly Ohio Travel Bag) so I passed even with the very attractive pricing.

I queried an ebay dealer about this issue over the period of several days and he went so far as to purchase some Tandy rivets and snaps and reported (to my near astonishment at his honesty) that his dies would not fit them.

So, if you don't have any (many?) pieces of non-metric rivets, snaps, grommets, etc, you might do well opting for this machine along with the burden of having to buy its associated metric hardware.

I don't have trouble setting snaps with a maul and hand setter and I don't have the need to set many grommets or spots so this "Rex Riveter," a nice stainless steel machine that is smaller and less expensive ($80 retail, $50 wholesale, including the rivet dies) from Weaver fits my needs and pocket book quite well.

http://www.weaverleathersupply.com/Mobile/Catalog/ItemContent.aspx?ItemNumber=BFD148B02A961CA321085DF185439018F73701D0836A068FD48DFCD9E9AA59CC6F403169E7FB36E6A9010A2C3819E417D3A8BCA3BCDAA31AC2DDA51E5960C0C915643C0081CFA487722E5B2413C4867BEEA7AEF11074198CDEF01035E44645A9F554836D07AB32C33BA8E1778FD49252F8160ECBCF84C74C3DDE5A3BC63E31A1

Thanks,

Michelle

Jules, it would be helpful to know more about your situation. You didn't mention, for example, whether you have a budget to work with.

One thing to consider when you are looking at rivet setting tools/machines is the extra time and motion necessary to use them. For example, even with hand tools, you must have an anvil or appropriate surface right in front of you or you will need to either move to the anvil's location or move the anvil to yours. Then there is the time and motion required to retrieve to tools, place the leather, maul the setter and so on and then put it all back when you are done. Then with manual tools there is always the likelihood and nuisance of mis-setting a rivet and having to remove it and re-set a new one. That doesn't happened with a hand or foot rivet press.

But even with a hand press, you have many of the same issues. If you mount it to your bench, you will have to move to its location each time setting a rivet is needed. If you mount the hand press on a slab of wood or leave it un-mounted you will have to be moving it around on your bench. These hand presses aren't light -- something to consider If you are concerned about your joints.

These issues are compounded when using a foot press (which cost into the thousands of dollars, and require dedicated floor space in your shop). You will have to prep all your project pieces of leather and move them to the riveter's location and back when you are done. So, unless you are in a true production mode and anticipate having all your pieces prepped ahead of riveting, you will have a lot of movement back and forth.

So, I would do some real careful thinking before you make the plunge with a foot press. You can get a dedicated hand rivet press for about $50. That's my personal solution as I don't need a machine to set spots, snaps, etc. I get to thinking about the overhead and expense of swapping out dies each time I want to set a snap, rivet, etc.

Bottom line: think before you leap. :)

Michelle

While my budget isn't infinite, I would certainly consider spending a bit on this ($500-1000+) for the right solution. It would certainly be a scrape for me, but worthwhile if the alternative is closing my business to save my joints.

I consider getting up out of my chair frequently a plus during work. I think sitting in one spot is the worst and have to remind myself to get up and move. My workshop has the space for pretty much any of the foot presses that I've seen. I'm most concerned about repetitive motion/overuse of elbows, wrists, and knees. Right now, pulling the arm on my 1/2 ton arbor press (which has an oblong punch welded to it) aggravates my better elbow, so I am cautious about investing in a hand-operated punch if it takes pressure from the user to operate.

Does anyone know how much force the Heritage Foot Press takes to set a rivet? Is it easy, or are you stomping on it?

Does anyone own the Gold Star hand press? How much elbow grease does it take to set a rivet? (in comparison to perhaps opening a jar, which has recently become difficult if not impossible for me)

Also, good point about the time of swapping dies- I would say that 99% of what I would use it for is punching holes and setting rivets.

Michael, that press is made to fit metric grommets, snaps, rivets, etc. You need to buy all this hardware from them (or many other online sources for he same press and dies). I already have thousands of SAE (non-metric) pieces of hardware )mostly Ohio Travel Bag) so I passed even with the very attractive pricing.

I purchased this press some time ago and the above is INCORRECT! I use it exclusively for setting snaps and it works perfectly with BOTH Tandy's and the ones supplied by the distributor.

The problem with the net is peoples opinions are not verified and turn into "Facts"

Buy this press for any US made snaps.

Cya!

Bob

In our shop we have a Heritage foot press and a Weaver little wonder .. between the 2 of those you are able to do about anything you like.

Michael, that press is made to fit metric grommets, snaps, rivets, etc. You need to buy all this hardware from them (or many other online sources for he same press and dies). I already have thousands of SAE (non-metric) pieces of hardware )mostly Ohio Travel Bag) so I passed even with the very attractive pricing.I queried an ebay dealer about this issue over the period of several days and he went so far as to purchase some Tandy rivets and snaps and reported (to my near astonishment at his honesty) that his dies would not fit them.So, if you don't have any (many?) pieces of non-metric rivets, snaps, grommets, etc, you might do well opting for this machine along with the burden of having to buy its associated metric hardware.I don't have trouble setting snaps with a maul and hand setter and I don't have the need to set many grommets or spots so this "Rex Riveter," a nice stainless steel machine that is smaller and less expensive ($80 retail, $50 wholesale, including the rivet dies) from Weaver fits my needs and pocket book quite well.http://www.weaverleathersupply.com/Mobile/Catalog/ItemContent.aspx?ItemNumber=BFD148B02A961CA321085DF185439018F73701D0836A068FD48DFCD9E9AA59CC6F403169E7FB36E6A9010A2C3819E417D3A8BCA3BCDAA31AC2DDA51E5960C0C915643C0081CFA487722E5B2413C4867BEEA7AEF11074198CDEF01035E44645A9F554836D07AB32C33BA8E1778FD49252F8160ECBCF84C74C3DDE5A3BC63E31A1Thanks,Michelle

I purchased this press some time ago and the above is INCORRECT! I use it exclusively for setting snaps and it works perfectly with BOTH Tandy's and the ones supplied by the distributor.

The problem with the net is peoples opinions are not verified and turn into "Facts"

Buy this press for any US made snaps.

Cya!

Bob

I think your both kind of right, metric tools work with SAE parts often, think about wrenches sockets and nuts.