Sign in to follow this  
badLoveLeather

12ft African Python snakeskin

My father just gave me a 12ft African Python snakeskin. It has some great brown tones but its over 30 years old and is very dry. Before I put scissors and needle to it, does anyone have any reccomendations as to how I can treat it before I go to work? Oil? Cream?

Travis

I would take a small peice from an end, and cut it off, oil it with either neets foot, or lexol, and see if it helps....

Post a pic when you can....

Go to a shoe store and get some Dyo leather balm. You can get the reptile conditioner which will be more exspensive and the only differance is the label. The leather balm will work wonders on it.

David Genadek

Hey there!

You know, I've been in a similar situation. Here's what I did with an old, dry 10 foot python skin.

I bought some Lexol leather conditioner and applied it first to the flesh side. I used a cheap 2 inch chip brush for this. ( you could use nearly any kind of fresh applicator like a sponge or shop rag, I just like the chip brush). I left it for a 1/4 hour, then rubbed the rest of it in with a rag. For my next step, I got a large plastic freezer bag, and rolled up the skin and sealed it in after pushing out what air I could without creasing the skin. I checked it once a day for a few days, then when the skin looked dry again, I repeated. I did that three times, then added a thin layer to the top scales. I gave it this treatment for about a week. THen I took it out and buffed it with a soft cloth. It darkened slightly, but I did not mind as it was dyed red, and the colors seemed to become more vibrant. Now the skin is nice and floppy- flexible for a larger old skin. The reason to use the bag is to keep in the moisture for a bit. THe skin is bound to be "thirsty". To me, the key is to rehydrate without making it greasy or spotty on the underside. I have done this to lizard and snake with great results. I also like that the resulting product has not been resistant to contact glues like Testor's rubber cement or Barge (original). I haven't tried conditioners designed for reptiles yet. I happen to like the Lexol because it is economical, water soluable and not particularly noxious.

swivelsphinx

Dyo -Reptile Shoe conditioner. There was a post here a long time ago, that had a very similar situation 30 yr old snake skin and they cleaned it up nicely with Dyo -Reptile. See here.

Hey Rawhide:

Thanks for the tip on the product. I'm going to give it a try sometime!

-swivelsphinx

My father just gave me a 12ft African Python snakeskin. It has some great brown tones but its over 30 years old and is very dry. Before I put scissors and needle to it, does anyone have any reccomendations as to how I can treat it before I go to work? Oil? Cream?

Travis

BadLoveLeather, is the snakeskin 'rawhide'? What are you going to make out of it? (I don't have any advice. I'm new. Just learning.) - TexasLady

Edited by TexasLady