dirkba

Proudly South African

Hi All,

I am probably the latest Rookie on this forum. I have come across the forum while searching for leather patterns to make a sheepskin vest.

I live in sunny South Africa in a town called Paarl - yes the same town that hosted Nelson Mandela before his release from prison!

I started doing leather projects because I like hunting and try to use as much as possible from the animal. So I had some hides tanned. First Springbuck which I used for soft leather projects such as toilet bags, sheaths for pocket knives and a vest for myself.

Then I progressed to Kudu and Oryx hides for belts and a travelling bag - complete with wheels! So far that has been my biggest project.

I also made a shoulder bag (picture included) for my wife from Elephant hide which I bought in an odd lot from an artist. The bag was machine stitched and now I am in the process of finding a walking foot so I can do some SERIOUS stitching.

The latter is only because of this forum and all the wonderful projects you have been turning out - it is really inspiring to see what you have achieved.

post-51328-0-72926600-1396972326_thumb.j

post-51328-0-26852300-1396972328_thumb.j

Hello an welcome. You will learn a lot here. It does look like you are off to a great start. I am troubled with what a toilet bag is though....

If you could send me a piece of elephant I would happily send you money.

Aaron

Howzit Boetie! I am originally from Joey's and used to teach at Michaelis. I was in Paarl last year for some wine tasting! If you ever need a hand from Stateside, let me know.

BTW I make lekker biltong and drei wors here in Arizona..where it's a a bit like the Karoo and our local butcher makes boerewors.

Totseins!

HI Aaron,

Thanks for the words of welcome.

A toilet bag is for keeping your toiletries (shaver, soap, tooth brush and toothpaste etc.) together when travelling - the goodies you use in the bathroom.

Down south we refer to the bag as a "toilet bag"

The picture will surely help to shed light on the topic.

Cheers

Dirk

post-51328-0-98406000-1397031936_thumb.j

post-51328-0-72007800-1397031968_thumb.j

Hi BDAZ,

Its great to hear from you!!

I thought it would be strange if there was not ONE reply from an ex RSA broertjie.

I'll definitely want to keep contact with you - specially if you have visited my hometown recently. One never knows when this can lead to being mutually beneficial.

Keep up the tradition of making biltong and dry wors, but it cannot taste like home?

post-51328-0-17698100-1397032613_thumb.j

Cheers - en groete uit 'n pragtige Boland

Dirk

My spices are from CT. I use a small plastic rubbish bin, a computer fan and a light bulb at the bottom. The wire is a sensor from a thermometer. I keep it at 26C. Total investment, $20 and 1 hour!

Do not hesitate to ask if I can help you get any tools or materials from the States.

Totseins!

Bob

post-47325-0-60262300-1397052895_thumb.j

post-47325-0-25623300-1397052896_thumb.j

Edited by BDAZ

Hi BDAZ,

G8 simple innovation and it WORKS!! Boer maak 'n plan....

if your spices are from CT then it tastes like home.

Thanks for the confirmation to assist - will let you know, but I guess you will be struggling severe if you have to bring me a Walking foot machine. It's a scars item to find in CT...but I'll keep on looking :rolleyes2:

One of my oldest friends used to work for the Adler distributor in CT. They sold machines for the shoe industry in SA, now all moved to China.I don't remember the company name but they were in Woodstock. You may ask and see if they know of any used machines sitting around somewhere.

The name Meuller comes to mind.

Cya!

Bob

Edited by BDAZ

Jip,

They are now called "Capesewing" and located in Observatory, but don't have any 2nd hand machines. They also cater for the industry with more sophisticated line of new technology and pricey machines

Cheers

Dirk

If you speak to them again mention Volker from Bremen. They may know of customers with a leather machine sitting in a corner? BTW I have a beautiful gunsling made for me when I was IN CT. I used it as a banjo strap. It is stamped City Guns but I don't know who actually made it.

\So here's another thought. Ask the folks at Paul Mueller (Thats the name!) now Cape Sewing, to recommend a sewing machine mechanic and then contact Bob at Toledo and see if he can drop ship a Cowboy 3200 to Cape Town. As long as you have a mechanic that can set it up, your in business. Bring in a few and go into business.

Cya!

Bob

Edited by BDAZ