Dland10

Stamping Not Staying Stamped?

So I've done several knife sheathes...and on my last one everything was looking grand...but by the time I was ready to stitch her up, I noticed the basketweave portion was lacking detail...and then realized that the stamping was raising back up, as if the leather hadn't taken it! The basketweave stamping was the first part I did...and looked excellent for three or four days...and then it just seemed to "come undone". Any help or suggestions with this would be greatly appreciated! I'm new to the site, will definitely upload some work I've done, probably here shortly after dinner! Thanks again for any advice/help!

There are a two major things that can cause that - The wrong type of leather, or wrong amount of water. If you are using Vegetable tanned (veg-tan) leather, then the first is eliminated. If it's Chrome tanned (or a derivative of), or harness leather that's been hot stuffed, it won't hold the stamps like veg-tan. If you're leather is too wet, the impressions will fade out quickly. If it's too dry, the impressions will barely be noticeable to begin with. Also, if the stamping is flex a lot while it's still damp, that could wreck the impressions.

Thanks mate...I do believe I probably did a bit too much water then. For some reason I feel that as soon as the leather starts lightening back up I have to re-wet it. I haven't really gotten a great feel yet for just how often water should be applied during he stamping process.

I'll have to give the casing a try, I have noticed the depth and darkness of stamping fading away slightly from re-wetting on a few pieces I've done. Thanks for the info Ambassador!

Ideally, you would never rewet your tooling leather. Wetting stamped areas will cause the leather to swell, and you will for sure loose definition and depth on your tooling marks.

Aside from the Bob Park link and advice you have received already, You need a good place to tool/stamp. That means a nice solid surface and good piece or marble or granite. Strike your stamps with a good mallet made of appropriate material to get a nice deep impression. If you are using really cheap stamps, they generally don't leave real crisp impressions, and you may not be getting the depth and definition you want from the start.

Edited by Colt W Knight