Howdy good folks!

I'm new to the forum, though I've been surfing through here several times.

I'm new to leather work, too. I've found this to great past time/hobby for me. It mixes with my interests in Cowboy action shooting.

Here's a few things that I've made in the past year....

My first major project was a travel bag. It was a gift to a friend. It was made from oil tanned leather and saddle stitched. I made the pattern from pictures I'd seen on the internet of similar classic traveler's bags. It was quite a challenge to start from the drawing board, to finished product. The picture is of the bag before the straps were cut to length and punched for the buckles.

post-55328-0-65187800-1412084579_thumb.j

My next project was a rifle sling...again as a gift for a friend. But, it did lead to an order for six more! The sling is also my design. Nothing fancy, but it is made with a continuous 1" belt strap. The strap has a decorative top with flor de lis and shield cut-outs. There is an underlayer of suede on the cut outs. The back piece of the strap is padded with neoprene, and covered in suede. The border stitching for the cut-outs was done on a early 1900's produciton Singer sewing machine that belonged to my wife's mother. It has a motor, but I turned the drive by hand to control the stitch pattern. The top and back piece are made from 4 to 5 oz. leather, and neoprene padding is added between these layers to cover the "bump" made by the continuos strap which runs between them. The top and back pieces are saddle stitched on the edges. The picture is a close up of the flor de lis. I have since gotten much better at controlling my border stitching.

post-55328-0-90960900-1412085570_thumb.j

My next undertaking was a set of custom mocassins for my daughter. They are modeled after a pattern sold by Tandy leather, but I had to custom fit them to her foot, as she has a foot much smaller than any size pattern available. The rose cut-out was her request, and my design, based on tribal rose patterns that I'd seen. The mocs are made from oil tanned leather, and the under lay of the rose cut-out and the toe-cap overlay is hair on calf. Again the border stitching was done on the Singer.post-55328-0-61286500-1412085864_thumb.jpost-55328-0-91145900-1412085893_thumb.j

After I finished projects for other folks, I finally got around to making something for me! Here is a set of holsters taken from a Will Ghormley pattern. I used them this weekend in a practice session at the range, and I'm pleased with them. I'll be making another set for another pair of revolvers that I have, soon...but likely a different style holster. I also made the spur straps with a pattern from Mr. Ghormley. I made the canvas ammo belt, and badge holder on my own.

post-55328-0-11935300-1412086047_thumb.j

Christmas is approaching, so I'll be making some purses and such for gifts this year. Santa will be busy!

Stay safe my friends...

Troy

Hello Troy and welcome to the forum!